Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Zoom Eyepieces

I have seen a few Celestron 7-21mm zoom eyepieces around and even some 2x-3x adjustable barlows. I was wondering if anyone had used them before and if they are any good?

A 2-3x barlow would be really handy for webcam imaging.

I have a cheap 114x900mm telescope on a terrible altz mount that came with no eyepieces. I currently use my CZJ WF5x (50mm) microscope eyepiece and it works phenomenally well for pointing but I do not want to sink $2-300 on a collection of eyepieces...

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

8mm - 24mm zoom EP's are pretty good. I have a Vixen model from back around 2003, use it mostly on my grab&go ST80 F/5 with nice results. It is functionally about the same as the Meade offering from all I've read. So you would do well grabbing one. Quite affordable - they must have bought-up a railroad-car of them.

Regards a Barlow - there is nothing worse than a cheap Barlow. Mid-grade ones from places like Orion(USA) and Celestron offer tend to be okay. The best are the Barlows offered by TeleVue in both a 2X and a 3X version. Not to be confused with their PowerMates, which are a different species altogether. I don't normally advise TeleVue to folks as you need to be rich to afford many of their offerings, but the Barlows aren't exorbitant and, arguably worth it. A cheap Barlow will dim the object and distort the image as well. Best used as paperweights. Or a chew-toy for a rabid pit-bull. 

Clear Skies,

Dave

Yea a barlow was going on my list if I could get the scope well tuned and it performs well. It came with a 3x single lense barlow which is pretty terrible, maybe ok enough for the moon or something in the neighbourhood. The Meade Series 4000 stuff is carried locally and you can get a 2x or 3x under $50. Or a 2-3x variable barlow for $75.

I just picked up a second hand baader click look, its going to replace my televue plossls, Im not a big visual observer so a good zoom is a greater benefit forf me than a selection of eyepieces i feel,

Invest in a zoom eyepiece by all means for visual, but if, as you say, you are intending to webcam image, or go into AP at some time in the future, then some thought should be given to allocating some finances to acquire a decent  mount. Trying to image without one, could be at the least, a very frustrating exercise, enjoy your Astronomy :)

I have the Baader Zoom MKlll 8-24mm, AFOV from 24mm to 8mm is 50 to 68 degrees.

I also have the 2.25 Barlow that goes with it.

This is my most used eyepiece combination and gives great views in all my scopes.

Avtar

Umm.. The Baader zoom is over 3x my price range. Used. lol. 

If I really get into astronomy and picked up an 8" dob then I would be justified in getting an eyepiece that sweet.

Are the variable barlows any good or is their low lens count (2) problematic?

If you haven't realised yet this is an expensive game to get into, if you can't afford it now then don't buy something that's not going to deliver, just save up a little longer to get what you want.

I'll give another vote for the Baader zoom.

If you are getting into imaging, particularly with a web cam get a decent Barlow first.

+1 for the Baader MkIII zoom from me too, it's the only EP I use nowadays. There's a review of it in this months Astronomy Now magazine.

The 2.25x Barlow it comes with is also good. The most common complaint about this EP is the confusion over the myriad of different adapters and fittings that come with it ;)

Zoom eyepieces are effectively an eyepiece with a variable Barlow built in, as such low quality ones suffer in the same way low quality barlows or eyepieces do. Or even cheap zoom bino's, if you ever use the zoom on a pair of them it leaves you wondering why it is even there.

Buying cheap is buying twice in this case I think.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

+1 for Baader zoom. It'll give a decent chance to make use of your scope, better save to buy a good one than throw your money away.

Here's a elder discussion thread about updating EPs:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/217907-first-eyepiece-upgrade-what-you-wish-you-had-done/page-3?hl=%2Bfirst+%2Bupgrade#entry2362198

One thing that might help make a decision is the knowledge that there is a thriving market for astronomy-related goodies, including eyepieces. And a used article - if properly cared for - retains the majority of it's original cost. As an occasional seller myself, I know this fact does not discriminate between the high-cost EP's, and the lower-cost ones. So yes, you could buy a Baader now and never need to upgrade to a higher-end model. Or you could buy a lower-cost one and re-sell it someday and use that money towards whatever-you-want.

Toss A Coin?

Dave

One thing that might help make a decision is the knowledge that there is a thriving market for astronomy-related goodies, including eyepieces. And a used article - if properly cared for - retains the majority of it's original cost. As an occasional seller myself, I know this fact does not discriminate between the high-cost EP's, and the lower-cost ones. So yes, you could buy a Baader now and never need to upgrade to a higher-end model. Or you could buy a lower-cost one and re-sell it someday and use that money towards whatever-you-want.

Toss A Coin?

Dave

Buying used is a good advice, which I proposed in my post in the link too.

Buying new maybe a little different story, A baader zoom is much more likely to be keeper, while not the cheap ones. The resell value for low-cost ones maybe good in the States, here in UK astrobuy&sell, you'll more likely lose close to 50%, and not easy sale. I'd not call that's just tossing a coin.

........................................................ The resell value for low-cost ones maybe good in the States, here in UK astrobuy&sell, you'll more likely lose close to 50%, and not easy sale. I'd not call that's just tossing a coin.

'Toss A Coin' is an expression used here to denote making a decision. If both options have merit and one cannot decide? Toss a coin while saying "Heads and I'll go for A. Tails and I'll go for B."

Dave

Another + here for the Baader MkIII and the 2.25 barlow that goes with it. It's currently all I use on my 200pds. Well worth the investment.

I've done some eyepiece projection planetary imaging with it too.

How does the Baader Zoom do on a slow C8 and 127mak?

Thinking about selling off my BSTs to get one as I do find it quite annoying swapping eyepieces and it would be more suited for my grab and go setup as I wont have as much to take with me.

I have the Baader Mk3 zoom and it's superb. I got a really good deal, bought used from SGL classifieds for £70 with the rubber eyecup missing and FLO sourced me an eyecup at no cost, but even at full price I'd say it's easily worth it.

That said, if you want a really budget option Alan at Sky's the Limit has imported a good quality zoom at a significantly lower price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Archived