Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

IC 5070 Pelican

Velvet

Joint Venture with twin Taks at Kelling Star Party between myself and Stephen on here

FSQ-85 and FSQ-106 both reduced (0.73x) with the QSI 690's on the back.

31x600s Ha

23x600s Oiii

20x600s Sii

42a18a978e7d7925be856da3ffff5d8a.1824x0_

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh wow, I really really like this. The texture that you have managed to bring out is fabulous and the light gives some excellent depth to the image.

My only criticism, if I may, is that the stars are suffering from halos quite a bit. It would be worth addressing that perhaps. I wish I could offer advice on how best to fix them, but here my inexperience shines!

It's a stunning image though with a great colour pallette. It's good to see a joint venture too. From the images starting to show up here it seems as though Kelling was good this year.

Good work!

I'm sure that someone who really knows will pitch in soon, but in the meantime...

As far as I know, the halos are caused by different star sizes between the three filter layers, Ha stars generally being smaller than OIII & SII. So, the larger stars need to be tamed. You could try selecting brighter stars, then a minimum filter and finally fade minimum (in PS) to the offending image layer(s).

Cracking image though and I only want to try and help you make it perfect!

Great detail - Really love the texture :D

My star halo trick is very 'bodgit and run' I'm afraid, so if it doesn't work don't blame me!! I use the elliptical tool to highlight just outside of the halo, then go into either curves, levels or saturation, depends on what I think will work best, and play with the sliders until they look better!! Oh how I wish I could give you a more succinct and accurate reply! 

Firstly.... great image! But how to deal with the cyan stars?

You can get most of the stars by using the reduce colour noise command in Ps, that will white-out all but the largest of your stars. The larger ones however, are a lot more difficult to correct, maybe a combination of magic wand and de-saturation?

Something a bit like this: 

post-5513-0-35719700-1412421074_thumb.jp

As some of the stars are possibly behind the gas would they not appear a different colour to white? For example the large star in the centre would appear cyan as it is behin the blueish gas!!

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Velvet, what colour mapping is this? Usually, Ha is so abundant that it may well blow out during stretch, so I guess you have Ha in the blue? It can also be halos...

/p

ha green

oiii blue

sii red

Firstly.... great image! But how to deal with the cyan stars?

You can get most of the stars by using the reduce colour noise command in Ps, that will white-out all but the largest of your stars. The larger ones however, are a lot more difficult to correct, maybe a combination of magic wand and de-saturation?

Something a bit like this: 

i cannot find reduce colour noise in PS..... can you point me in the right direction please

Velvet

This is the last word in finesse so far as the nebulosity goes. Exquisite.

Do you have Noel's Actions, or whatever it is now called? Well worth having and inexpensive. If so, I'd find out by splitting the channels which channels have the largest stars then run the Make Stars Smaller action on the large star channel(s), mabye a double iteration on the biggest.

Great. Collaboration is such a good idea. The beautiful targets out there deserve it.

Olly

i cannot find reduce colour noise in PS..... can you point me in the right direction please

Velvet

Sara got there before me :) (was out last night!) but when using the command its probably better to use it on your RGB layer before flattening the image (ie: dont apply it to a finished work)

Archived