Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

bright star

O2B3

The other night I was about to set up my scope and looked up at some stars to the right of the plough so could set my scope and I three bright stars with bout five other not so bright stars as I looked at one of the stars for a split second it became brighter than the other stars it was as if someone had turned a touch on it became the brightest thing in the sky then it went out and was not there anymore! Can any explain what this was?

Date and time please, probably an Iridium flare from what you say/describe but with the two bits it should be possible to identify one - if it was.

Don't bother, for Fareham there were no Iridium flare since 23rd Sept that occurred at a sensible time, they all seem to be 5:00 to 6:00 in the morning. (Strange)

O2B3, you really are geting multiple posts. :grin: :grin: :grin:

What are you using?

Not a Iridium for that date, as said there seems to be only Iridium Flares for your location about 5:00 in the morning, not a thing at a convenient time in the evening.

There are others (flaring satellites) but they are on Calsky and I cannot get along with that site, simply never seem to get a location in without a major fight.

There were 2 bright satellites in the NE at the time you say and sort of 8 seconds apart, so that sound like 2 of them. Can only assume one had solar panels and you were treated to a small flare off of one.

Archived