Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from Salford!

Sargs

Hi!

I'm a computer geek from Salford near Manchester, UK. I've always had an interest in astronomy as I grew up in the seventies when the space race's impact on culture was still huge (a steady diet of SF books and Gerry Anderson TV shows helped!) 

Back in the eighties, I built a clock drive for my telescope as a project for my GCSEs and joined my local astronomy club for a couple of years, but then I went to work and then to college and back to work and I sort of dropped out of astronomy for a while (I was busy ruining the world by writing computer games and then for the last *cough* years helping companies like Nokia and Motorola develop the modern smartphone into the soul-sucking monster it is today :evil: ). A couple of years ago, I bought a Nexstar 6se which helped me get back in, but things really took off earlier in the year when I stuck a webcam on the back and posted some blurry pics of the moon, Jupiter and Mars round work.

Everyone was amazed! People from our offices overseas were asking me what I'd be taking pictures of next.

I found that though I liked visual astronomy, I really enjoyed being able to take pictures to show people and explain a bit about the universe. Since June, I shelled out on a NEQ 6 Pro mount, bought a Sky-Watcher 200P off eBay to stick on top of it, got an Opticstar 142C one-shot colour CCD camera for deep sky and added a guidescope and camera to finish things off. 

I've only been imaging deep sky pics for a short while now (work and weather always get in the way), but here's a pic of M27, the dumbbell nebula, from the bright orange suburban skies of Salford.

M27 processed cropped

Nice pic !

Welcome back to astronomy and astrophotography :) I hope you'll share more pics with us, it's always nice to see the work of others and how they achieved the result.

hello Sargs,

a warm Salfordian welcome from me, left the bright lights of Salford back in 1986 and moved to the less bright lights of northwest Lanacashire. 

Hope you enjoy your time here at SGL

Tim

Archived