740427863_Terminatorchallenge.jpg.2f4cb93182b2ce715fac5aa75b0503c8.jpg

First telescope to buy.

Hello. My name is Diego and I live in Spain (sorry for my poor English). I would like to buy a telescope for the first time. During the last days I've been reading and researching all about telescopes ( refractors, reflectors, mounts, eyepieces, focal length, etc.). I don't pretend to become an amateur astronom. I just want to put the telescope on the table of the terrace of my home and take a look from time to time and learn to spot planets, stars, nebulas, etc. My budget is about 150-200 euros (about 120-180 pounds). I'm aware of the limitations of such cheap telescopes. So far, the telescopes that I've found with the best price-quality ratio are the Skywatcher heritage dobson 130p and the skywatcher explorer 130 newton 130/900 with tripod motorized eq2 mount. Both seem to perform much the same. 

Both have their pros and cons, the heritage is more comfortable to use and move on the terrace table, on the other hand, the explorer's size and weight makes it difficult for me to move it around the terrace because of space limitations, but offers some good extras that the heritage doesn't has like a 2x barlow lens and the possibilty of imaging wiyh a camera adaptor.

I suppose that another important factor is that I live in a city and there's some light polution. I wonder any of these scopes performs better under poor sky conditions.

I would really appreciate some advice.

Thank you.

Hi Diego,

I have and would recommend the Heritage 130p, very portable and doesnt take up much room when not in use.

I will also say that it is possible to take images with this telescope either afocally (very difficult) or with a webcam (much easier).

Hope this helps

Hi Diego,

I have and would recommend the Heritage 130p, very portable and doesnt take up much room when not in use.

I will also say that it is possible to take images with this telescope either afocally (very difficult) or with a webcam (much easier).

Hope this helps

Thank you. You've been very helpful.

Hi Diego,

Hope this helps

How does the Heritage perform in a city? Will I be able to spot some deep space objects from my house or will I have to go outdoors? Thanks.

Making a light shroud might be an idea if you have strong local lighting in your city.

Things like a barlow in one kit and not in the other I would not use as a deciding factor.

What are your chances for being able to sometimes go to a dark site, could you transport either of your choices?

Sorry Dieogo I live in a town and even though we have alot of light pollution I couldnt say how this telescope will perform in a large city

Sorry, I also live in a small town. I was talking about general street lights, not exactly a big city. It could help me if you tell me what you usually can spot with the heritage scope. Thank you very much.

Making a light shroud might be an idea if you have strong local lighting in your city.

Things like a barlow in one kit and not in the other I would not use as a deciding factor.

What are your chances for being able to sometimes go to a dark site, could you transport either of your choices?

My father in law has a piece of land outside the town. It's a much darker site. In summer we go a lot with my kids. I'm sure I'll be taking the scope there. Thanks.

Hi Deigo,

I have had very good views of Jupiter, Mars and Saturn. I have been able to see the various colour bands on Jupiter.

I have also been able to view the Andromeda Galaxy recently and the Orion Nebula (be warned you will not see colour in any of these, they are very faint)

If you geta webcam you can take some good images of the moon and even though it is a bit fiddly you can get the planets as well.

Hope this helps

Hi Deigo,

I have had very good views of Jupiter, Mars and Saturn. I have been able to see the various colour bands on Jupiter.

I have also been able to view the Andromeda Galaxy recently and the Orion Nebula (be warned you will not see colour in any of these, they are very faint)

If you geta webcam you can take some good images of the moon and even though it is a bit fiddly you can get the planets as well.

Hope this helps

Thanks, junior. You've been very helpful.