Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

new to solar finding

jimmythemoonlight

Hi all I know this is going to sound really odd but here goes I've just bought a solar filter to look at the sun but I can see it in the sky but cannot line it up with my telescope my scope is lined up with Polaris but I cannot seem to line the sun up there must be a certain way but obviously being a beginner I don't know it so if there's someone out there (and I'm sure there is) can you please help many thank. Jimmy

Adjust the mount controls until the scopes shadow is at its smallest, then use a low power EP to centre the sun.

Oh and mandatory warning not to use EP solar filters (since you didn't state what type you have).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I hope you have a full aperture filter and not an eyepiece filter of any kind. assuming you do then you can use the shadow of the scope to find the sun. point it roughly in the right direction and then look behind you at the shadow. het it as round as possible and you should be close in the eyepiece.

alternatively, make a solar finder. here's mine http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/225720-free-solar-finder/

Jimmy,

When I first started solar observing I used to take my diagonal out of the focuser and hold a piece of paper behind the scope, I then slewed the scope until I could see the white disc of the sun on the paper.... hey presto and no costs :laugh:

I have used the minimum shadow trick frequently, but now use a solar finder (Sol Searcher from TV; not expensive). Sticking some Baader solar film over the front of a regular finder also works. An RDF or TelRad doesn't, of course. Regular finders should be capped or equipped with solar film during all solar observation

Archived