SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Trying to split Albireo

Its beta designation may be misleading.  Be aware that does not automatically mean you are looking for the 2nd brightest in a given constellation.  In this case its actually the 5th brightest !   Compared with Deneb its quite faint to the naked eye.  In my finder the first obvious feature is that red hue.  The eyepiece view is a slap in the face, the red and lovely smaller blue component are really both beautiful.   The brighter red star is actually a double too but don't expect to split it.  You will need at least a 20 inch mirror and super-dooper seeing conditions :) 

Try again at it, its worth the wait, its a fantastic view.

Easiest way to find it is to look for the summer triangle with the naked eye. Look to what would be the centre and a bit to the right to find a solitary star if you have LP , if you have a dark site, maps will be the way to go as the number of stars you can see with the eye is bewildering. My stock sw finder splits it but the colours come out when you look through the 25mm. They also look suprisingly wide apart through the scope.

As all have said it should be easy to split , I was showing a crowd of new members it at last friday meet, and we split with it with all the scopes down to 60mm. As moonshane has commented make sure you have the right star, and persist because the colours are worth it.

I've only been into this properly since the nights have been getting longer and learning to control the scope has taken me some time.

Albireo is a stunner - beautiful rich colours. 

Having said that, one night last week I couldn't make out the colours at all - pretty sure I was looking in the right place as aligned the scope three times and it went to the same place each  time after GoToing to Albireo. The separation and alignment in the EP was as I remembered from previous viewing - but definitely no colours

As above.  Have you tried the Lyra Double Double to get a bit of practice in?  Sometimes it's there but it needs a bit of averted vision and experience.  The colours in Albireo are really good especially when slightly de-focussed using my 12" Dob and a 8mm Baader Hyperion EP.

Archived