stargazine_ep34_banner.thumb.jpg.28dd32d9305c7de9b6591e6bf6600b27.jpg

IC1396 Repaired (130pds)

Last night, although astonishingly clear - wasnt quite what was forecast (I lost about 2 hours to clouds) with the session ending just after 1am - so not quite the all nighter I had planned!

But, I did achieve the primary goal of replacing a lot of the cloud/moon damaged subs with some clean data. In fact, the 10min subs that were coming off were miles better than the 15min subs I took earlier in the month - so I stuck with 10min to get a higher overall sub count.

Also Ive tested what I would call a "universal flat" - before this session I took time to clean everything so the same flat could be used for all filters. I mean, its still going to be the same illumination level regardless of the filter - so as long as all is clean it should work (in theory!). The flat used was that taken through my CCD CLS filter.

As for IC1396, its now pretty noise free - but I did refrain from pushing it any further as its already on the edge of burning the trunk (trying to keep its contrast). Also, some of the darker details are a bit clearer with plenty of globs dotted about the place.

IC1396:

10x600 + 6x900 (Ha) 2x2bin, x4 panes

130pds, Atik 383L+, NEQ6, MPCC MkIII

Calib: Flats and Bias

Resolution: 3.4" p/p

Thanks for looking! :)

Rob

15361368491_3656e3642e_b.jpg

Fullsize here:

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2949/15361368491_dd2b02df6d_o.jpg

• Like 9
Martin-Devon, on 27 Sept 2014 - 7:14 PM, said:

Rob - that's an incredible image, probably the best I've seen of this in H-alpha.

Martin

Thanks Martin, I did check Google images of this in Ha to see how it stacks up against other systems (and to see if i'd got it right) - and it turned out quite favourably given the low budget nature of the telescope :)   But im still mulling over whether to add colour, as I'd like to move on to other things.

During the hour before it clouded over, I was able to grab just four 900s subs on something else - its probably going to need at least 3-4 hours to get anywhere near interesting:

With rough processing and loads of noise:

post-5513-0-96929000-1411846289_thumb.jp

That's great Rob, top notch processing,

E.

Thanks!

You know, given the images we're getting from this marvellous little scope - if the diffraction spikes were removed you would probably have a tough time judging whether it came from a newt or not :D

Im still thinking as to whether to clean my primary, its had a year of solid use now - so its picked up a bit of muck. It might be worth doing at some point though because I remember when I did my secondary, it looked so much better (it even appeared more reflective!). Would have to sort a way of drying it though - im not a fan of evaporating the droplets left behind (especially if using just deionised water rinse). Ive found it better to either rocket blow them off, or shake the mirror (remebering to hold on very tightly!).