Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Is this dumb?

Hi 

I owned a Celestron 130SLT

It has a power socket I can plug in to power the telescope. 

I bought a power adapter but it does not power the telescope when I plug in the pin. I am thinking of just plugging it into the battery connector instead. If I just set it to 12V and plug it into one battery connector and leave the other one empty, is it a dumb thing to do?

post-39033-0-37884500-1411741384_thumb.j

post-39033-0-37009400-1411741386_thumb.j

post-39033-0-62128300-1411741387_thumb.j

You'll mullah the board in an HEQ5/EQ6 instantly if you connect in reverse ... even at just 12v.

Fair enough - will take note not to connect mine wrong way round!

Bit odd though - if the electronics are that sensitive, I would have thought a couple of diodes would be in order to protect them.

That would be the sensible way , but I guess it would be too much to ask from them.

I make sure that my power connector is firmly taped together as the very end is easily separated , just a replaceable tip on two prongs , all too easy to put back wrong inadvertently if if becomes detached by snagging the lead.

I also make sure that the switches on the PSU are locked in the correct position with a dribble of hot-melt glue , as they are all too easily knocked into a potentially damaging position.

Oh dear, I wish I had not read this topic, I fear the outcome :(

I was about to say something to the effect of "Believe Uncle Steve for he draws wise diagrams"

But instead I am going to say do as Steve says, measure twice with multimeter before connecting once !

I go further, test your meter, use a primary cell (an AA single use) that the meter  has its red and black leads in the right holes if it is an analog meter (ie. no minus symbol in a digi display ! , even then , , ?! )

Why am I doing all this typing ? I remember I had a similar switchable elcheapo wallwart that I had consigned to the heap :-

I got it out just now and measured it and the switch position indicated by the cramped sylised symbols that suggested to me tip positive

ie. a + inside a circle close to the tip picture  is actually measured as -ve :( :( :( wrt the body

which is why I consigned it to the heap ( actually it resides in a box to provide residual heat to my Sourdough Cultures ! )

Phew, trust not your dearly beloved expensive toys to cheap wallwarts  !

And  a protection diode is easily included in low power demand electronics at the design stage where the 0.6v (or similar or suchlike ) drop can be factored in.

The cost of a diode ? huh

Archived