Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A Bubble, Lobster Claw and a cluster

jetstream

This evening turned out to be very interesting, sky mag 21.3 & brief great trans -maybe an hour or so. I have been targeting M52 and its companions, the Bubble neb, Sh2-157  ( Lobster claw) and ngc 7510 and tonite was the night. The Bubble neb stood out well as a diffuse glow (fuzz ball, no bubble visible),  Sh2-157 presented one claw to me, with nebulosity behind it and ngc 7510, a nice tight kinda small cluster that showed well in OIII. I have to say I saw lots more neb shadows but not sure what they are yet. I am excited for this find! :grin:

I really wanted to try the galaxy hunt for a bit too and went back to ngc 7331 to look for Stephans Quintet. I may have seen some of it...couple of very faint patches were seen in the right spot blinking in and out with averted vision, I went back a few times to confirm seeing them. I have to thank my 10E for helping me out with the galaxies...these faint ones are not seen in any other EP  by me.

My obs were interrupted for a bit though! I heard a loud Moose beller and the sound of a pack of wolves growling, fighting and they must have made a kill....I would say from the noise about 150 yards from me :eek: Needless to say my concentration was blown for a bit. This folks, has to be heard to be believed.

Great Night!....and still no Cocoon

That does sound very close, must have created quite a brutal soundscape full of anguish at your location.

I hope to include a  return to some attention to the Bubble tonight and will take regard to those features you have described.

I obs about 10 feet from my truck, I jumped in turned it on a honked the horn...lol! Shone my flashlight all around the bush to see if there were any eyes glowing, thankfully there were none. After 15 min or so I sat back down to view....with my tire iron across my lap. Pretty sure they didn't know I was there at first.

The thing is this gravel pit is awesome for darkness, no light domes anywhere and fairly close. Without the darkness I would see none of this faint stuff with my 10" and I really enjoy DSO. In winter it will go 21.7 mag with great trans there.

Now there is a wolf somewhere telling is buddies "I was eating fresh meat when some sicko started to honk is horn and flash a light at me, that scared the hell out of me ! I couldn't finish my meal"

Archived