Narrowband

i-Nova Cameras

Shelster1973

Just had email from teh company that I bought my scope and mount from (sorry FLO, did not know you where here when I did my initial purchasing) rergarding a new series of CCD cameras from i-Nova and was wonderring if anyone else had seen these or even got one and if so what are opinions on them.

initial read fo blurb seems ok and they are talking about 'DeepSky Imaging Visual Enhancement' which apparantly stacks the images as it goes along, building the stack beforer your very eyes.  All are pelt cooled too, purporting to have 30 degrees below ambient cooling.

Not sure on the protocol for putting up links to other suppliers on here....if it is allowed then will put link in for rothers to have a look if they can't see them already

French Solar System cameras, rather popular there, but the latest cooled version brings the prices close to typical DS cameras. If you want a all-in-one (planetary/lunar/DS) then some models could be interesting. Similar idea will be used in QHY miniCam5s (but you still would need a guider for DS imaging :p)

Cooled iNovas look like so: http://www.pierro-astro.com/materiel-astronomique/cameras-astro/cameras-inova-serie-nebula_detail

• Like 1

Hi mate. I've got the PLB-Cx version, without the peltier, but can be added as a kit at a later date. its a nice little camera using the same sensor as a ASI120MC Color USB2.0 Camera.1280 x 960 and you would get similar results. you can buy them with or without the peltier cooler which can be controlled through the software Being a new camera the software for them is being updated weekly, the software is getting better with new features and bugs ironed out, matter of fact a new beta as been released today. Yes it can stack on the fly, darks, focus and guiding, exposure infinity but you expect a  lots of hot pixels which is the norm with type of sensor and with the peltier it will reduce it a lot. I've not had chance to give it a work out yet on DSO's . this will give you a idea of the size of it with a usb dongle propped up against it.
post-24363-0-62690200-1411647289_thumb.j

post-24363-0-58032400-1411647445.jpg

Thats a dinky little bit of kit indeed Johnno.

Take it the nose piece is a 1.25" affair?  Can this be changed to a 2" one?

Also, with the choice of use, is it an either / or choice between imaging and guiding? or can it be used as both at same time (am guessing it can't)

Hi, just got the same email - from SCS Astro.  URL: http://www.scsastro.co.uk/M42-Optic-SARL/CCD-Cameras/i-Nova-Neb

btw, FLO only sponsor this forum and discussing other businesses and products is certainly not forbidden :police: , neither is buying kit from elsewhere - though I buy everything I can get from FLO from them because they do great service and support.

John, thaks for clarifying that.  Am active on another forum that is run by a computer partrs company and anything mentioning competitors there is forbidden and can leads to bans, so was not wanting to transgress here.....but now I know will be fine.

Try to use FLO myslef too when I can as they are local to me (well 40 miles down the A38 which in these ere parts is local)

hi, the NBB-Cx is the same as mine but with the cooler already fitted.

yes it comes with a 1.25 nose piece and I would imagine you could get a 2'' nose piece. I've never guided as I only use a Alt-Az mount as my main interest is video at short exposure times. 

I've just taken some screen shots off the laptop of the different apps within the software just to give you a idea what's it like. You cant open the software unless it detects a I-nova camera. 

this shot is what it looks like when you first open it up, you just click on which square you are going to use, i.e click on the planetary if that's what your going to do and so on

post-24363-0-79987500-1411656391_thumb.p

My Sbig ccd has two chips to guide and image at the same time, however it only works with limited software and brings up a whole load of issues if narrow band imaging as both chips are behind the filter.

a dedicted cam for each task is the beast way :)

Edited by Earl

Looking at the application screen shots they ought to add exposure time as a slider too for planetary imaging, as it's quite handy too. Some FireCapture ideas like storing camera settings per filter are also nice to see in other apps. (and I'm not a fan of multiple "floating windows", one is better for me).

Rik, I'm the same, when the first software came out you could access the different modes all in one window, now say I want to change from planetary to deep sky I have to close the app and it goes back to the first window with the 4 boxes, I find this a bit frustrating and slow. What they have changed and I've yet to try it is that in DEEP SKY now  you can change from sec's to ms  so in theory I should be able to use DS window for planetary without changing back to the planetary window.

You can save and load different settings without coming out of the program

It's a CMOS, not a CCD, similar to that in ASI120/QHY5L-II. The difference between DSLR is that this sensor is very small (1/3") and has very small pixels so it will perform "good" only in short focal length and very fast telescopes (not common). The mono version for Solar System imaging is much better.

It's a CMOS, not a CCD, similar to that in ASI120/QHY5L-II. The difference between DSLR is that this sensor is very small (1/3") and has very small pixels so it will perform "good" only in short focal length and very fast telescopes (not common). The mono version for Solar System imaging is much better.

How short and how fast do you reckon on that one?

My scope is f3.9 and 800mm in the focal length department.  Currently use a Nikon D7100 for my imaging

If i went for the one that am thinking of (NB B-Cx) then have the following

F ratio: Focal Length: Field of view: Resolution:   f3.94 800mm 20.63' x 15.47' 0.97"/pixel

Looking at some of the objects it appears that i will be too zoomed into them.....hehe

May add that to my ever growing list of stuff to get...but may keep with my D7100 for a while yet longer

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...