Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lyra 152mm f5.9 Achro

A McEwan

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing quite prepared me for the sheer size of the OTA , it was absolutely Mahoosive !!!!! After the initial shock had worn off I must say it is quite an impressive piece of kit . The finish is superb and that huge 3" focuser is butter smooth. It will go on a Altair Sabre Mount which I am told will handle it no problem. I must send Ant a pm as to how easy or difficult it is to get up on his Skytee 2. The Scope and Mount with counterweights and associated bits comes in at approx £1300. A lot for a Achro on a Alt Az mount but I think it is something I will use a lot and look forward to taking out to some nice dark skies not too far from me. ( having said all that a Flextube 350p is £1250 !!!!!! )

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone wanting to know of a useful case for their 152mm f5.9 Lyra (or TS etc) scope, this Geoptic case will serve you well!

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p171_Geoptik-Quilt-Bag-for-Telescopes-to-8--Aperture---Lengh-800mm.html

It's a snug fit, but I was able to trim the polystyrene inserts from the scope's original packing box and use them in the Geoptic case, as end-pieces and bottom and top protectors. It works really well and does not add much weight to the package.

I see they also do one that would fit the 102mm f11.... ;)

Ant

Vlebo, that's exactly the same scope.

The SkyTee 2 takes it well. I've only had it set up indoors, but it moves around fine and doesn't wobble or shake, and vibration damping time is very short. Mind you, that's on a Berlebach wooden tripod. I'll be interested to see if it needs a counterweight on other side or a second scope perhaps.

Also we should bear in mind that it's really not going to be used at high power, so minor wobble/focus wobble shouldn't be a problem.

The other mount I'll have it on is my HEQ-5 and although I haven't tried it yet, I have absolutely no doubt that it will be a dream on that mount!

Ant :)

Ant you mention it will not be good at high power . I have 3 Pentax XW's 30mm , 20mm and 10mm and was thinking of adding a 7mm also to use with the 152 Achro. do you think it is necessary or are the three I have probably all I would need for this scope ?

Vlepo,

I had this scope as well in the past. It can take a 7mm for DSO very easily, giving a magnification of 128.5x and an exit pupil of 0.84mm

Before splurging on a new eyepiece, borrow a 7mm from someone and test to see if you like this magnification.

Ant you mention it will not be good at high power . I have 3 Pentax XW's 30mm , 20mm and 10mm and was thinking of adding a 7mm also to use with the 152 Achro. do you think it is necessary or are the three I have probably all I would need for this scope ?

Nope, that's not what I said at all!

I said "it's really not going to be used at high power". Completely different! ;)

I have no doubt that it will perform excellently at higher powers, but that's not why I bought it. I have other scopes that are more suited to that type of observing.

Although, I do look forward to putting this scope to some planetary observing when I get a chance. Aperture is aperture after all, and I did end up buying a Semi-Apo filter for it after all (it was cheap!)

Ant :)

I stand corrected  :smiley: . Have you used your 152 lately ?  I am goint to Astro Fest on fri just to have a looksee but unless anything else catches my eye I have decided on a 152 Achro like yours from Altair Astro on a Sky Tee 2 ( coz of the slo mo controls ) or the Altair Sabre Mount.

I've not had a chance to use it extensively, but the small chances I've had with it show nothing but good things so far.

I like it on the SkyTee II - it's a good setup that is very sturdy and doesn't take ages to set up. There is a "technique" to hoisting the scope on - I just put the rings & dovetail in the mount first, hinges to bottom, then hook both arms under the OTA and lift it up. I can support the scope all the time in my arms, while placing it in the rings and reaching with my hands to tighten up the knobs.

Also, I load the OTA (finder, diagonal, eyepiece, extend dewshield) before placing it on the mount, so it's easier to get the balance point early on ;)

Enjoy Astrofest! :)

Ant

I've not had a chance to use it extensively, but the small chances I've had with it show nothing but good things so far.

I like it on the SkyTee II - it's a good setup that is very sturdy and doesn't take ages to set up. There is a "technique" to hoisting the scope on - I just put the rings & dovetail in the mount first, hinges to bottom, then hook both arms under the OTA and lift it up. I can support the scope all the time in my arms, while placing it in the rings and reaching with my hands to tighten up the knobs.

Also, I load the OTA (finder, diagonal, eyepiece, extend dewshield) before placing it on the mount, so it's easier to get the balance point early on ;)

Enjoy Astrofest! :)

Ant

Thats the technique I've used with my big Istar 6" F/12. Once you have started you need to commit though - I'm nearly 6 feet up when I'm offering the Istar to the tube rings :shocked:

Archived