SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Nearly 5 years and 10,000 posts!

Pete Presland

5 years ago i packed up playing darts, something that my life had revolved around for 25 years. i returned back to the much changed interest of astronomy.

When i started here nearly 5 years ago, i had never heard of flat files, dark files, HA telescopes, oiii filters, image stacking, drift alignment, PHD guiding and many other things to many to mention!

i had never taken an astro-image, only seen 2 comets, a couple of planets and few DSO’s.

It has been quite a journey already and i have learnt so much from all the members on here. The imaging side has become almost an obsession! but i still love the visual side as well.

i thought i would share some of the imaging improvements i have made over the period of time.

post-5271-0-20005600-1411497754.jpg  post-5271-0-71883400-1411497754.jpg

post-5271-0-27565000-1411497875.jpg  post-5271-0-90746800-1411497878.png

post-5271-0-47110800-1411498008_thumb.jp  post-5271-0-01227400-1411498014.png

A MASSIVE THANKS TO EVERYBODY AT SGL!  :icon_salut:  :icon_salut:  :icon_salut:  :icon_salut:   :icon_salut:  heres to another 10,0000 and 5 years!

Well done on the 10,000, that is a lot, I went through 4,000 the other morning myself and wondered how. I am sure you have imparted much useful imformation on the way to 5 figures, very well done.

Alan.

if i have shared half the knowledge that i have been given i will be very happy!

Congratulations on the milestone Pete ...  :laugh:

Guess you probably started with the 'simple stuff" on here rather than having to 'read it in books' , learning that 'stars are stars' and 'all that jazz' , and finding that with a long enough exposure there are treasures up there and 'no dark things'.

And take great 'pride' in knowing that they are your very own 'pictures on my wall' ...  :cool:

Here's to your next 10,000 ....  :smiley:

10k posts in 5 years is good going.

Iv just gone past 1k in 6 years.

Well done.I bet you miss your darts

sometimes.I used to play a few years

ago.Good times,they were.

Steve.

my life used to revolve around it, minimum 2.5 hours practice a day. playing pub, superleague, county and competitions, astronomy is fair more healthy :grin:

Congratulations on the milestone Pete ...  :laugh:

Guess you probably started with the 'simple stuff" on here rather than having to 'read it in books' , learning that 'stars are stars' and 'all that jazz' , and finding that with a long enough exposure there are treasures up there and 'no dark things'.

And take great 'pride' in knowing that they are your very own 'pictures on my wall' ...  :cool:

Here's to your next 10,000 ....  :smiley:

love it Steve, my other passion! going twice more this year and next February as well.

Congratulations!

Really liking the Mars image, too. I am considering a move into imaging and this post really is inspirational.

Thanks,

James.

the Mars image really did enforce that the seeing conditions and positiion of the object you are imaing are key to a good image. the first Mars was with a C8/CG4 with a Philips webcam, Mars is now quite small again, the 2nd image was taken around oppostion.

the Rosetta was a stack of 3 minute images, and it was hardly visible on a single sub.

Archived