Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

8" reflector V 8" LX 90

Has anyone had a comparison of the two in the subject line??

I like my Europa, but figure the LX 90 has slightly more portability.

The main issue with the current scope is focussing isn't so easy (perhaps I should invest in a crayford). Also although the GPE is a tidy mount, it suffers from a fair bit of vibration when tweaking focus/changing eyepiece etc.

Im seriously considering upgrading, but bearing in mind what I could get for my current set up (have installed vixen RA drive), I would still have to spend about £1000 :shock:

Basically is it worth the outlay(vastly improved tracking and goto)

Should I consider a second hand LX90 or is the LNT a vast improvement, or wait a couple of years till I get my "leaving the Navy pay off" and get a 10"

Am toying with renting one off Damien for a month to do a serious side by side comparison. :lol:

Hi,

I've owned both a different times so I've never done a side by side comparision, but I defineatly prefered the views in the Newt.

I suppose it depends on how much you value the portabilitly and GOTO features of the LX90 (I don't see that the trackiing will be that much better?)., but through the eyepiece the Newt wins for me.

I also found the image shift on the LX90 very annoying when focussing at high powers and the image never seemed to 'snap' into focus like you get with a reflector or a refractor.

Gaz

Firstly now that we have the option of renting i would go down that road first.

PROS AND CONS-

PROS- LX90

PORTABILITY

IT HAS A CORRECTOR PLATE (FLATTER FIELD)

DECENT TRACKING AND GOTO

I would also wait the couple of years as you all ready have the reflector

and wouldn't be without a scope.

You will only end up upgrading to the better scope in a couple of years anyway.

CONS-

The down side to the LX90 is that if it doesn't have a mirror lock then you WILL get image shift

in the middle of imaging as the scope rotates on its axis.

It might be more portable but it is a heavy bit of kit. (OTA & FORK MOUNT ABOUT 35 POUNDS)

For good focusing you would still have to get a Crayford focuser any way.

You would also need a wedge to track equatorial (£100-£150)

Rent one first i say. Save you a fortune on buying the wrong scope.

you need to ask yourself what you want to do observe. If you are satisfied with what an 8 inch gives you, then you would certainly see more of the same with a goto like the LX90. The mirror shift is an inherrent problem with telescopes of this design, but it is more of an annoyance that a real problem, and is mainly caused by the uneven distribution of the engineering grease on the focusser. If you fully wind the focusser in and out a few times, this evens out the grease, and if you always come into focus by bringing the mirror down instead of up, you can minimise the mirror shift. I would be more concerned buying a second hand LX90 than a dob because of the electronics, which I don't really understand. And if they do fail, that's it. There are no manual slow motion controls o an LX90, and you might as well have a dob.

If you want to see more fainter things, or your old favourirtes in more detail, then get more apeture.

I've got an LX90 and I hardly use it, because with the breaks in the clouds observing that I do, it's still quicker to set up my 3inch ED80 on a camera tripod. But if I had the room, I'd be getting a 12 inch dob. A friend of mine has bought one for £500 from telescope house, and for that money the views are excellent and it's set up in no time. We observed the recent supernova in M51 with it, albeit from a dark siite with moments of pure atmospheric clarity, and we estmated that to have a visual magnitute of 15.1. I think there were a few quality issues, but then you'd expect them at that price, and nothing that the average person can not put right themselves, vis a vis the electonics in the LX90.

These decisions are never easy, but my definition of the best telescope is the one that you will use the most.

SORRY!

I have just checked my observing notes, and just to correct the record, the supernova in M51 was actually estimated to be 14.5. We did get a few glimpses of a nearby reference star which was at 15.1, which is really pushing what can be achieved with a telescope of that size. Don't expect to be able to do that all the time.

Your comparing apples and oranges here.

Consider... To make a worthwhile comparison, the Newt would have to be about seven feet long! I doubt anyone here has such a scope.

Essentially, the SCT wins on portability, convenience and excels at high-power observing so is especially good for planets, lunar and the Sun with a suitable solar filter

The Newtonian is better for wide-field, low power observing of deep-sky-objects.

Yes ... there are always exceptions :lol:

Hope that helps,

Steve

well, I actually prefer deep sky hunting (although I do enjoy webcamming as well) :lol:

so.........think, stick with what I've got (it is a great scope)

get a (moonlite?) crayford

wait till get my £50k gratuity in 2 years and get a 10" GPS jobby???

:shock:

Paul

Theres brightness and then theres contrast......

True, but when I stop down the FD to about 50mm to look at the sun I get *plenty* contrast :lol: What about of-axis stops then? Stopping down does help with focus too so maybe that obstrucion is a help sometimes. Also a handy place to poke a camera if you got the Fastar as well!

I've gotta go with the SCT, without a doubt.

Had some good views through the newts, the Orion Optics SX200 gave nice views certainly. As did the Explorer 200. But not as nice as the C8. Deep Sky or Planets.

The C8 seals it by being easier to man handle, easier to use and easier to look though. No constant turning the tube in the cradles lark. No eyepiece in awkward positions. Easier to transport to the dark site, doesn't take up half the car. Easier to collimate. Doesn't loose collimation as often. Is more versatile. Endless list of accessories. Can be easily stopped down to f6.3 for better deep sky. More comfortable viewing of the planets due to f10 FR. Central obstruction is 35% compared to an f5 newts 34%. No diffraction spikes.

Yep give me an SCT any day

Russ

... easier to man handle, easier to use and easier to look though. No constant turning the tube in the cradles lark. No eyepiece in awkward positions. Easier to transport to the dark site, doesn't take up half the car. Easier to collimate. Doesn't loose collimation as often. Is more versatile. Endless list of accessories. Can be easily stopped down to f6.3 for better deep sky. More comfortable viewing of the planets due to f10 FR. Central obstruction is 35% compared to an f5 newts 34%. No diffraction spikes.

I think that just about covers it Russ... :lol:

Really? So not worth the money?

I don't know about that, but I wouldn't put that scope on that mount. You'd just need to allow for that if you bought one (or just get the OTA only)

EDIT: Sorry Grant I wasn't paying attention, I thought that was the 11" model. The CG5 mount is fine with the 8", I really should learn to pay attention..... :lol:

Archived