Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NEQ6 mount weight limit

steve walsh

Hi, I've just taken delivery of my new NEQ6 mount and I'm going to be using a skywatcher 150 PDS reflector and a skywatcher ST 80 as a guide scope that will be attached using the skywatcher guidescope mount. I will also be using a Canon 100 and a skywatcher synguider. Do you think this is too much weight for the NEQ6? Also would you recommend a extra counterweight or a extension bar?

Thanks

Steve

Hello

I'd say you're right in the zone with that setup. I think the NEQ-6 handle a 200pds for imaging, but the general consensus seem to be it's a bit on the large side.

Adding the 2nd counterweight might be needed since I'm using the 150pds without the ST80 at the moment, and I'm fairly close to the end of the bar with a single counterweight. But all that will become clear as you go through the balancing process.

I have a 200PDS, ST80, finder scope, cameras, auto focuser, dew controller, usb hub, three counter weight and other stuff attached to my mount. The only thing that seems to suffer is my back having to carry around all the stuff, haha.

It's generally considered better to have more counterweights, closer to the point of rotation rather than fewer weights further out.

There is a nice little animation in wikipedia that explains why that is :)http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Rolling_Racers_-_Moment_of_inertia.ogv

The imaging rig I am testing at the minute weighs around 18Kg and I am using 4 5Kg counterweights and do not require an extension bar. I have had 6 weights on the bar!

Are you mounting the 2 scopes side by side? If not you may require a 3rd weight. Does the NEQ6 already have an extension bar?

Andy

Archived