Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First light with 22" F3.4

SimonfromSussex

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha, Thought that might get you out of the woodwork Calv. Not sure my lovely wife would be too keen on my going to dobfest after my rescent galavanting, besides, I'm not sure I'd be welcome with my 5" heritage :D. Enjoy DF2 all concerned.

you should of come scott, dobfest 3 is scotland.

simon i could realy feel your excitment dont need to see it now. :grin: looking good mate, well done to you and alan

Thanks everyone!

It must be really satisfying for it all to come together so well and to get such wonderful views. You realise we're all going to blame you at the weekend if it's cloudy. - :)

What was really nice was remembering as I looked through it on Sunday that I played a part in making the scope to allow the views, that is really satisfying  :grin:

Hopefully Alan gets that feeling too as he did most of the woodworking bits!!!!!

Yea, definitely down to me with the cloud, sorry!!

Having followed your build thread from the start I've been waiting for your first light.

I'm really pleased that you are not disappointed after all your and Alan's hard work.

Have a great weekend and let us all know how it goes.

Good luck and clear skies.

Superb first light report after a superb build. A well deserved reward for all your hard work :-)

The biggest dob I've looked through is my old 8 inch f6 which gave me some wow moments so a 22 !!!!

Cheers Chris. You are more than welcome for a look through this 22" if you are ever this way.  

Having followed your build thread from the start I've been waiting for your first light.

I'm really pleased that you are not disappointed after all your and Alan's hard work.

Have a great weekend and let us all know how it goes.

Good luck and clear skies.

Many thanks Astro Imp, fingers crossed on the weather!!

A fab first light report, its a shame that my 16 seems small these days though ,and I feel this sort of thread is gonna cost me money as aperture fever takes hold.

Cheers

Imagine how I feel with my lowly 14" having helped with this photon hoover?? Must earn some money and get that blank ordered......

I have to say though, that a truly dark sky closes the gap quite a bit, at least that is what I keep telling myself as I try to sleep at night :grin:

A dark sky closes the gap hugely. The scary thing is, in the UK from my experience, the good skies are very similar to each other. The only super dark sky is wales. And i live too far to enjoy them often. [emoji26]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i was sooo lucky to get a look through this last week and i must say the views are as good as it looks and moves. seeing the outer halo of m27 was mid blowing, its done  bad things to my aperture fever though  :p  

We had a little go with it in darkest Wales last Friday between the cloud.

Truly amazed with what the scope shows.

As Dan says, outer halo on M27 with a 10mm ethos and oiii filter was really really good.

Side on galaxy NGC891 was something special, also with the 10mm ethos (no filter). Swirling dust lanes down it's center, it was not far off a deep sky picture!

Dan also pointed out to me a star cluster in M31 on the outer edge. Huge great thing and very clear once you knew where to look.

One VERY happy dob owner :grin:  

Good to see that (despite the bulk and cost) people are still suffering from a touch of "the fever" (aperture that is). Must say I am almost cured nowadays, but I'd still like some time with one!!

Cheers

PEterW

Good to see that (despite the bulk and cost) people are still suffering from a touch of "the fever" (aperture that is). Must say I am almost cured nowadays, but I'd still like some time with one!!

Cheers

PEterW

Aperture feve is never cured it just lays dorment in you, all it needs is a sight of a big new dob :D

Simon, being such a fast scope does it suffer from coma more than a "normal" dob? Or does its premium mirror from Nichol counteract that? Ive looked into fast scopes before and their coma was pretty bad.

Personally for me i find using a binoviewer vastly improves coma/field curvature to the point where it can look as good or better than my APO.

I highly recommend you try. If you dint have any problems with your eyes and binoculars work well for you then they should do wonders for you. Mono viewing i look at targets for short lengths if time maybe less than 5mins at most. With binoviewers i enjoy studying the same target for up to 20mins or more its just so relaxing.

Ive learn that with small apertures the light loss from dividing for two eye us very noticeable, for example my 80mm APO. My celestron 8se i also notice a the image get a bit dimmer. However it seems as ones aperture increases the loss becomes unnoticeable. For example in my 12in dob i see far more detail and much sharper image with binos. Ive spent nights out just comparing mono vs bino and every time i prefer the binoview, even for DSO. Just as bright, sharper image, more detail and mist importantly, a far more consistent FOV if sharpe stars.

If i ever join you at an observing session you can try out my binoviewers. :D.

Binoviewing.... Hate to see the state of your wallet... Doubling up on ethos....

Daniel-K.... Ok I relent slightly, but I have found alternatives given my circumstances that still allow me to "dig deep" without filling my tiny living room with a big dob. Of course if money were no object then I would be shopping for a >>20" scope.

PEterW

Simon, being such a fast scope does it suffer from coma more than a "normal" dob? Or does its premium mirror from Nichol counteract that? Ive looked into fast scopes before and their coma was pretty bad.

Personally for me i find using a binoviewer vastly improves coma/field curvature to the point where it can look as good or better than my APO.

Yes it will have more coma being quicker Pingster.

I think coma bothers some people more than others. For me it doesn't matter too much but I have baader correctors on my wide field eyepieces that sort it out.

Archived