Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First light with 22" F3.4

SimonfromSussex

Managed to finish off the last few bits of my new 22" F3.4 DIY build scope including a make shift light shroud and so it was on to a proper sky test on Sunday night.

Wow! Wow! Wow!

I thought I'd start in Sagittarius as it was disappearing fast in the south and hit the Swan nebula pretty quick.

I cannot really put into words how good this target looked but I will try. 

My old 16" was pretty good but the extra aperture of the new scope takes it to a whole new level.

I never realised quite how big the Swan is, with the 21 ethos and oiii filter it almost filled the 1.12 degrees of sky I could see.

The main body was incredibly clear with mottled black lines through the neck and the billowing nebula at the rear of the bird was amazing, like it was rippling in the wind and so much more of it than with the 16".

Once I had lifted my jaw out of the way of the secondary cage I edged lower and found the Trifid.

I don't have a great southern horizon but despite the lights of Eastbourne threatening the view there it was and what a view!

Like a shamrock in the sky you could clearly separate the four quarters which I have never done before.

Excited to try some things over head I made my way to the veil, starting at the witches broom.

I'd had a quick peek at this while it was getting dark and felt a bit under whelmed but now with a dark sky it was incredible.

I read Steve say that the veil in his 20" is like a picture and he is not wrong. 

The structure in the tail in particular really stood out, a grey tube of mottled gas culminating in two jets spraying behind.

Again, I'm lost for words really, the best thing I have ever seen through any scope.

The crescent was not far behind this with the large brain floating in the star field of Cygnus.

Again clearly defined, even the central structure.

I then found the Cocoon Nebla which I have always struggled to do with the 16".

I used an h-beta filter to show it properly and I couldn't make out the sections (like the Trifid) but I was still glad to bag it.

I replaced the ethos with the 31mm naglar and headed to Andromeda.

Now I've always been a bit disappointed with Andromeda, even with my 16", and always struggled to pick out features.

However now is a different story. Two massive sweeping dust lanes were on view, running bottom left to right in my eyepiece.

Staggeringly good and I'm definitely going to return to this galaxy asap and spend some time working it over with my eyes. 

Apparently (I read) you can see globular clusters within the galaxy and this is something I definitely want to try!

M33 next and although it was quite low in the sky the spiral structure was pretty clear.

This will undoubtedly be better when it gets higher in the sky but there were two main spiral arms (top and bottom) that really stood out to my eyes.

Like a Catherine wheel spraying stars in every direction. 

M81 & M82 were beautiful together in the large field of view of the naglar and M82 was so detailed at higher power.

M27 was sooooo bright. Like a full moon in the my 10mm Ethos with the oiii. 

Being a work night I sadly had to curb my viewing there but a thoroughly amazing first light and I look forward to so many more with this wonderful mirror under the stars!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good stuff Simon.

M17 isn't so much as just a swan swimming when you use a large scope. It's kinda a swan swimming in a big lake surrounded by fields. It just grows and grows. :grin:

Glad your enjoying the fine scope you and Alan built, look forward to seeing it myself on Friday

Sounds absolutely amazing Simon, you must be well chuffed!!

Look forward to hearing many more reports like this. Having seen the veil through a 15", I can only imagine how it looks through yours :-)

Enjoy!

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone!

Sounds like it was all worth it :) Any chance for a picture of the beast?

Here you go VigdisVZ 

post-13692-0-24961800-1411461672_thumb.j

Build thread is here: http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/224241-22-f338-diy-scope-build/

Awesome report on awesome first light with awesome scope. I am glad all your hard work and craftsmanship payed off handsomely. Not at all jealous, of course, just a slight twitch of aperture fever, that is all :D

Thanks Michael, I think I have found the cure!!

Good stuff Simon.
M17 isn't so much as just a swan swimming when you use a large scope. It's kinda a swan swimming in a big lake surrounded by fields. It just grows and grows. :grin:
Glad your enjoying the fine scope you and Alan built, look forward to seeing it myself on Friday

Spot on Steve, I couldn't believe quite how much there was of it!!!

There should be laws against introducing such aperture-envy on the public forum!  Lovely report, I'm not jealous at all ;-)  Congratulations on such a huge scope!

So sorry Szymon, apologies if I am spreading aperture fever everywhere!

Cure? Nah, it just gets you wondering what a 30" would be like :D

Magnificent looking beast of a scope. Looking through it is even better, of course

Stop it you!!!!  :evil:  :evil:

What a lovely bit of kit. What does it

weigh Simon.?

Steve

Thanks Steve,
Cell + Fixings 10kg 
Mirror 22kg 
Mirror box 14.18kg 
Top Cage + Secondary + eyepiece 8.1kg 
Poles 4.0kg 
Rocker box 15kg (approx, not weighed this)
So about 74kg in total.
It all comes to bits though so I can take it in the car if need be.
At home I have made wheel barrow wheels to move it about so weight is not an issue.

I like the way Simons design looks very easy to transport. Looks like it may even fit in a van fully assembled. How tall is it will scope pointing straight up and how tall is it with scope horizontal xD. Or do the photos lie and its much bigger than it appears :D

Im actually surprised skywatcher has not made a fast 22in using their flextube design.

I like the way Simons design looks very easy to transport. Looks like it may even fit in a van fully assembled. How tall is it will scope pointing straight up and how tall is it with scope horizontal xD. Or do the photos lie and its much bigger than it appears :D

Im actually surprised skywatcher has not made a fast 22in using their flextube design.

It's about two meters in total height, it probably would fit in a transit facing forward?

It is pretty big in the flesh though pingster!

It does look beautiful mate. Maybe one day I'll get a look through it....I've nearly given up on calvin ;)  :evil:  :p.

Deffo get a look through it Scott! Come down to astrofest next year?!

It's about two meters in total height, it probably would fit in a transit facing forward?

It is pretty big in the flesh though pingster!

Deffo get a look through it Scott! Come down to astrofest next year?!

cheek!! You will have to come to the next Dobfest Scott... Anyone for Scotland?

Haha, Thought that might get you out of the woodwork Calv. Not sure my lovely wife would be too keen on my going to dobfest after my rescent galavanting, besides, I'm not sure I'd be welcome with my 5" heritage :D. Enjoy DF2 all concerned.

Archived