SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Bigger than I thought!

Thanks Mark.

I'm contemplating buying one of these, but because I am a novice and don't really know my way around the sky fully I am also considering a GOTO; just been looking at a few youtube vids on dob and goto's, I know everyone on here keeps telling me aperture is king, but I keep changing my mind!  The Celestron SkyProdigy range for example seem like a pain in the bum to me to setup, and very expensive too!!

What is the CF like on your dob?

Rick.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use a GoTo Dob, setting up is point it north'ish, select 2 star align, you move it to the first star either by pushing round or slewing with the motors, get the first star centered, the handset selects the second star if its out of view, you get a list of other stars one at a time, select one and the mount will slew to it, this second star has always been in the FOV of my 30mm EP get it centered and that's it, the better your aligning these 2 stars the better the GoTo works, the best bit it finding by hand or using the GoTo center a object and go make a cuppa tea, its still in the FOV when you come back, it also remembers where it is if you choose to move it by hand....if its affordable go for a GoTo the biggest you can manage, mine is a 12" it splits into 2 parts to move one large knob to turn to attach the two bits together...Good Luck.

Archived