Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Solar Imaging with ED80

They will be a sort of monochrome where the "colour" is sort of very pale off green.

Difficult to explain the hue you will get. Most just refer to it as "white".

Usually the edges are "fuzzy" or not sharp.

What is the scope ??

If you are expecting the "red" coloured images with surface granularity then you need a solar scope like the Coronado or Lunt with the Ha filtering present. You cannot get the same by putting a red Ha filter in with the solar film.

It will produce a "White light" image a Solar continuium filter will give better detail, (and make it look green) its a starting point with dslr I have done a few myself in my dob, getting focus wih the dob has been the main issue, as the shot is a very quick exposue tracking is not important for a single shot.

Although I now use a Tal 100RS for my imaging the results are the same as when I was using my ED80 , today's examples are here  ... http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/225813-sun-in-white-light-22-9-2014-1100-bst/#entry2431494

I leave mine in Monochrome as that is what is seen through the Baader film , but you can colour them to suit your own taste.

Hi Steve / 'astrophotmag' and welcome to SGL.

Do not forget to make a solar filter for your finderscope too, or cover/remove it!

If you have a Red Dot Finder (RDF) cover/remove that too!

What camera and mount are you using? You can use an alt/az mount, (up/down - left/right), but can be a bit tricky to realign once the Sun has moved out view!

They will be a sort of monochrome where the "colour" is sort of very pale off green.

Difficult to explain the hue you will get. Most just refer to it as "white".

Usually the edges are "fuzzy" or not sharp.

What is the scope ??

If you are expecting the "red" coloured images with surface granularity then you need a solar scope like the Coronado or Lunt with the Ha filtering present. You cannot get the same by putting a red Ha filter in with the solar film.

Hi Ronin, here is the scope I have http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p3881_TS-80-480mm-F-6-APO---FPL-53-Triplet-Objektiv---Kein-Farbfehler.html Thanks for your reply :)

Although I now use a Tal 100RS for my imaging the results are the same as when I was using my ED80 , today's examples are here  ... http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/225813-sun-in-white-light-22-9-2014-1100-bst/#entry2431494

I leave mine in Monochrome as that is what is seen through the Baader film , but you can colour them to suit your own taste.

Hi Steve, great images and if I can get a few like that, well that will do me until I can get a solar scope

Hi Steve / 'astrophotmag' and welcome to SGL.

Do not forget to make a solar filter for your finderscope too, or cover/remove it!

If you have a Red Dot Finder (RDF) cover/remove that too!

What camera and mount are you using? You can use an alt/az mount, (up/down - left/right), but can be a bit tricky to realign once the Sun has moved out view!

Hi Philip, I have an EQ5 PRO, not the best mount in the work I know, luckily, not finderscope, I use a green laser. Oh and I have been torn between the Canon 1100D, 450D or a Celestron NexImage CCD. Not really sure which to use as the 1100D has video but records in MOV.

Archived