SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

I need recommended eyepieces for my 150mm F5 Newtonian

iksobarg

As your in Germany, have a look on the Telescope service website at the TS HD or see if they do a BST starguider, a 12mm and an 18mm would be pretty good

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p4931_TS-1-25--ED-Okular-12mm---60--ebenes-Bildfeld---hoher-Kontrast.html

do you wear spectacles to observe?

what's your rough budget?

is your focuser 2"?

Thanks moonshane.

No, I don't wear spectacles.

Budget? Hard to say. I'd be hard pressed to pay over 200 Euro for an EP unless it was  sooo darn good and prolly the only one or two I would ever need ever again.

My focuser handles 2", yeah.

You guys are blazin fast with the responses! THanks!

As your in Germany, have a look on the Telescope service website at the TS HD or see if they do a BST starguider, a 12mm and an 18mm would be pretty good

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p4931_TS-1-25--ED-Okular-12mm---60--ebenes-Bildfeld---hoher-Kontrast.html

Gonna have a looksie, thanks! More soon!

The NEDs were actually recommended to me before somewhere. At the time I didn't think of what the ED meant. I overlooked them as the price was too rich at the time.

They must be excellent and worth it!

I came across these http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p2331_TS-Paragon-ED-18mm-1-25--Eyepiece---50-deg---20mm-eye-reliev.html which left me wondering: The site says. "The TS ED 18 is a medium magnification eyepiece for telescopes with a long focal ratio. On such telescopes it is very well suited for deep sky objects."

it's marketing I know, but it's also ED, which aside from NED, with 60deg. vs Para, with 50 deg. FOV, I don't know how they are going to be distinguishable, UNLESS I BUY ONE OF EACH! :S

Am I splitting hairs or could I fairly get a hallelujah for the Paragons? and save 28 Euros?

I would like to think 18mm BCO is the natural addion to your EP set, it was my DSO hunter EP in my SW 130P, optically clearly better than BST 12mm and 8mm I had. maybe TS NED is of better quality than BST, but I doubt it will be as good as BCO.

Maybe you need a good finder EP too, if you want to stick with 1.25" EPs, the Maxvision 24mm 68 deg will be hard to beat with the price, and gives you the most FOV in 1.25" focuser. If you want even wider FOV, then 28mm MV 68 deg should be a very good choice.

Also, adding the QT 2.25x barlow will effectively double your BCO set.

I have a question related to eyepieces combined with short focal (such as the one in this post).

Is it better an eyepiece with slightly higher magnification but larger FOV or a bit lower magnification but smaller FOV? 

For instance, in an F5 telescope

1. A Televue Panoptic 27mm (68 degrees) has magnification=28x, FOV=2.45, exit pupil=5.4mm, eye-relief 19mm, and weight=~500g

2. An Explore Scientific 24mm (82 degrees) has magnification=31x, FOV=2.62, exit pupil=4.8mm and eye-relief 17mm, weight=700g

The ES is cheaper than the Televue and, judging from the exit pupil, I'd be tempted to say that the ES shows a better contrast due to a darker sky particularly in an average sky with a bit of light polution.

However, I wonder in which one you see less coma at the edge..

would see less coma on the ES as its focal length is shorter (24<27) or more coma in the ES as the aFOV is larger (82>68)?

A comment on this would be appreciated. 

Thanks

Without having any of the named EPs, I can only give some general ideas:

Coma is off-axis aberation of parabolic mirrors, which grows inversely proportional to the square of f ratio, and the wider Field of View(FOV), the more coma will be showing.

Assuming no astigmatism(stars are crossed) or field culvature (different focus position for center of FOV and edge), a 82 deg EP will always show more coma than a 68 deg EP.

The NEDs were actually recommended to me before somewhere. At the time I didn't think of what the ED meant. I overlooked them as the price was too rich at the time.

They must be excellent and worth it!

I came across these http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p2331_TS-Paragon-ED-18mm-1-25--Eyepiece---50-deg---20mm-eye-reliev.html which left me wondering: The site says. "The TS ED 18 is a medium magnification eyepiece for telescopes with a long focal ratio. On such telescopes it is very well suited for deep sky objects."

it's marketing I know, but it's also ED, which aside from NED, with 60deg. vs Para, with 50 deg. FOV, I don't know how they are going to be distinguishable, UNLESS I BUY ONE OF EACH! :S

Am I splitting hairs or could I fairly get a hallelujah for the Paragons? and save 28 Euros?

NEDs are the same as BST Starguiders!........ Skys the limit does them for £49 GBP @ € 63  free posting. If your not happy with them after a trial, send them back for a refund. You will need to pay p&p to return them!

ED=..........extra low dispersion glass.... helps reduce chromatic aberration!

Iksobarg,

Maxvision 68 deg are rebranded Meade SWA, optically are clearly a step up than the cheap wide angle Eyepiece. they should be comparable with ES 68 deg, but weigh noticeably more then the ES comterparts.

http://www.explorescientific.de/Okulare/

A review of Skywatcher 32mm SWA can be read here:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/211960-skywatcher-swa-70-degree-eyepieces/

About the 32mm SWA

Related to that link you shared:

John -moderator- said"

"I found the 2” 32mm Skywatcher SWA marginally disappointing overall in all honesty. It’s a decent enough budget 2” wide field with a distinctive look to it but I’d hoped it might be a little more than that."

Tiny Small said:

"Your thoughts on the 32mm are absolutely bang on. I use them in my dob and the astigmatism from the 32mm is very bad... but... when used in context it is a perfectly adequate eyepiece. Unfortunately adequate isn't really good enough at that price point I don't think."

Easily off my list.

About the 32mm SWA

Easily off my list.

I would like to think the 30mm ES 70 degree is not much better than 32mm sWA.

As you already know, around 30mm will get you about right maximum exit pupil. Have you taking account of weight of this low power EP? I have my OCD about weight balance, since I'm under impreesion that some excellent EPs are more or less collecting dust simply because the owners don't feel for re-balancing their scopes every time they change EPs.

There are lots of threads on the Maxvision this is just two.

I don't know whether they are all in 2" size or not.

I have the 16mm 1.25. There are other posts of members using them in f5 scopes.

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/198068-maxvision-24mm-and-16mm-first-use-on-200p-dob/?fromsearch=1

And

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/223926-eyepiece-recommendations-for-12-f5/?fromsearch=1

I have very little experience with eye pieces but recall there was a lot of post activity when these eye pieces became available.

• 1 month later...

I need help choosing the best EP combo for my newest addition, a TS 150mm F5 Newt.

Money is an object :\ however exceptions can be made. :D

If it helps I'm in the midst of a DSO fever outbreak. :p

You're all lovely!

Thanks!

John

John,

I recommend a set containing a 25mm, 12.5mm, 8.3mm, 6.3mm, 5mm.

Or, more practically, a set containing a 25mm, 12mm, 8mm, and a 2X barlow.

Yields 30X (big star clusters and nebulae), 63X (most DSOs), 94X (small DSOs, Moon, planets), and 126X (moon, planets, small DSOs) and 188X (planets, Moon, double stars)

As for brands, that'll depend on your wallet, but I do favor wide and ultrawide models.

Archived