SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Orion binocular question

Canada123

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You will love them! They are great binoculars

To be honest, now I'm more interested in what Ghostdance has coming in the mail than in my own binoculars. :shocked:

As for Wood-o-pod 1.1, I'm going to bug my buddy to help. He's a master cabinet maker and has a fist-class wood shop. I made Wood-o-pod 1.0 in his shop. He was impressed that I was able to conceptualize something as complicated as two pieces of wood being nailed together.

I think the end result - of the "tripod" model anyway - will look like a 2x4 coat rack strong enough to hold a bag of cement. It will probably get left outside all winter, so it's going to have to be solid. Maybe have holes or screws on two or three arms to fit a tripod adapter to that I can remove when not using. Might try to add a long lower arm so that I can use it when sitting in my plastic deck chair. Even if it weighs thirty-pounds, it won't be going far.

Oh am I sheepish now....damn, canada, it really wasn't my intention to steal your thunder or hijack your thread which I've just realised is what it could look like... Really sorry, did not at all intend to lessen the great pleasure you have in ordering a lovely pair of bins. What was artless humour and a joyous tease can read as a bit crass on reflection. Sorry man.

Aside from me opening my mouth and stuffing a limb in it, I just know you are going to *love* the Orions, and I'm really pleasedfor you. New toys are always fun! Like Christmas. And I'd love to see a pic of ol woodentop (which is about how I feel right now! ) when you've finished it :)

Looking good. I'd alway keep away from huge exit pupils because the state of your eyes is one way street leading downhill! Tell me about it!

Because I use a Pronto which can come down to 15x I don't much use 15x70. However, I thnk they are a good size for astronomy. The other bino think I like is a top quality, low power pair for hand holding. Your 'delicioussness' requirement made me smile and exactly describes the quality of view in the second hand 8x42 Leica Trinovids I bought a couple of years ago.

From my dark site I have to say that M31 is more than a fuzzy streak. It is a very, very wide streak and one edge ends in perceptible dust lanes.

Olly

You're so right, canada: they're very cool.... and very weird :) You just hold em and end up looking like 'froggy would a wooing go...'

Someone in another thread described them as opera glasses on steroids, and I guess they are. I prefer another reviewer's description that they give you a kind of 'super' vision - as if your naked-eye vision was much better. The edge 'distortion' is pretty bad - in fact, when I tried them this morning I thought I'd made a big mistake - you have to keep your eyes central and move your head. Takes a bit of getting used to. But I started to consider a love affair with these cuties when all of Lyra's stars were visible to me this evening, so a great way to see constellations. Usually with Lyra I can see Vega only, naked eye.... (I've got light skies and old eyes tho - a young'un like you with your dark and sparkly jewel box of a sky would see a whole lot more than me! :D )

You hold them. They're really well made, good weight, look like good coatings:

https://www.intercon-spacetec.de/typo3temp/pics/d107ca77fe.jpg

They're unbelievably cute...I'll tell you how I get on with them, whenever I get clearer skies....December at this rate!

But! Back to the Orions: shouldn't be long now? I can only imagine 15x's are going to blow your socks off in dark skies. Which at -30 could be the icing on the cake (groan) :D

I'll get my coat.......

I'm hitting refresh on the postal tracking number site every fifteen-seconds. They went into the mail yesterday. The binoculars are being sent from Vancouver, which is like you ordering from the Urals. Very far away.

Cloudy today. No Orion this morning.

Heh, tracker-stalking - next to stargazing I think it could be the next most common hobby on SGL!

Hopefully Canada post is a whole lot better/quicker than the parcel-donkey in the Urals :)

End of the week at worst, surely?

Some stars here last night but my seeing was awful. I'm beginning to realise that lately my local best conditions are about 2 to 5am - hmm, that means my options are stargazing or divorce? Lol...

Excelsior! :smiley:

Excellent delivery time - sent out Monday from Vancouver and here in Quebec Friday. 4000 kilometers by road.  And free shipping. Gotta love it.

As for the binoculars, I may be the last person here to be familiar with the Orion Resolux brand (and it's extended family), but these 15x70s really smell of quality. They come in a nice case with good padding. It's not a Pelican case, but it's nice. The binoculars are solid and heavy. Fit and finish are appropriate to the price. Anything that twists or turns does so only with effort. When I took them out of the case for the first time I had a visceral and shameful bout of materialism. "Oh... oh.... oh....!!!" :tongue: You pick these things up and you know there's something going on. While certainly not lightweight, I think they will be fine for free hand use. Definitely going to work on a very-portable and a not-so-portable support system though.

Took them to the front deck and tuned them in to the mountain about a mile away and the view was crispy. Bit of a hazy day so it's not the best viewing, but my first impression looking through them was "no complaints". We're supposed to have clear skies up until about midnight, so hopefully I can make some starlove tonight. Rest of the weekend is shot, so it's tonight or early next week.

post-39076-0-34588100-1412362199_thumb.j

post-39076-0-74418600-1412362450_thumb.j

• 3 weeks later...

If I had money I would buy the whole series of Helios Apollo/Resolux /Oberwerk Ultra. I would like to have 10x50, 15x70, 22x85, and 28x110. I may still get 15x70 to use as my primary grab and go instead of Celestron Skymaster 15x70, which has a bad picture but only cost me $60 on Amazon. I would like to have 28x110 most, but at $750 in US I could get a 152mm refractor from Explore Scientific, I believe, and it will fit my old LXD55 Meade mount w/o modifications.

waiting impatiently for your test report, including what is faintest star you can see at what NELM at your location, and Jupiter test. Can you see it as a perfect sphere without any CA? They do look fabulous.

Archived