Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M31 Andromeda (130 pds)

Uranium235

Great stuff yet again. Good core control, strong colours. The little reflector struts its stuff!

A tiny point but somewhere along the line very slightly dark rings around the stars are being created. They are slight and I struggle with this at times as well but it might be worth an eagle eye at each step in your flow to see where it happens.

Olly

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the case Olly, Ive just had a bit of a brainwave. Just seeing if registar can perform another act of dark magic ;) (seeing if I can combine both the 80ED and 130pds Lum, its only 85mm difference, so why not!).

Now stacking.... this may take a while!

Here is what it looks like with the 80ED + 130pds Lum data added together. Hmmm not all that much different, perhaps just a touch more contrast is all ive gotten out of it. If anything the 80ED data may have dragged it backwards a bit since its of a lower signal level (shorter subs on a slower scope):

post-5513-0-73538800-1411164555_thumb.jp

Its the noob again :)

I am trying to wrap my brain around this one ----

So you made a first version with your Skywatcher Evostar 80ED DS PRO @ F6.38 (510mm),18 x 600 secs? With which camera - Atik or canon?

And then you added frames with your 130 PDS for luminance? With  the H alpha filter ? Atik or canon?

my head is exploding - please explain!

uhb1966, on 20 Sept 2014 - 10:54 PM, said:uhb1966, on 20 Sept 2014 - 10:54 PM, said:uhb1966, on 20 Sept 2014 - 10:54 PM, said:uhb1966, on 20 Sept 2014 - 10:54 PM, said:

Its the noob again :)

I am trying to wrap my brain around this one ----

So you made a first version with your Skywatcher Evostar 80ED DS PRO @ F6.38 (510mm),18 x 600 secs? With which camera - Atik or canon?

And then you added frames with your 130 PDS for luminance? With  the H alpha filter ? Atik or canon?

my head is exploding - please explain!

Its the same camera I used to snap the RGB last year with the 80ED while I was still using 1.25" filters, which only just barely covered the 383L+ chip at f6.38. When I moved to an f5 newt (with its fatter light cone), 1.25 filters were no longer sufficient to illuminate the chip so I had to sell them in order to get 2". Ive only got L, Ha and OIII at the moment - but you can still do an awful lot with just those - like bicolour Ha/OIII or taking some deep luminance then combining that with colour data from previous sessions (which is what I did here).

For M31 it was:

130pds = 18x600 (L)

80ED = 24x450 (L) 10x600 (Ha), 6x300 R&G, 8x300 B

Processing = Register 80ed master tif to 130pds lum, then combine in Ps (blend mode colour)

I will (eventually) get some 2" broadband filters, but just the Red and Blue are over £200 for the pair (ouch!).

After a few years you will accumulate a lot of data, and if your tend to stick with the same telescope or camera you eventually get to the position where you can combine data over multiple years. In regard to the coma correctors - for M31 I used the Skywatcher 0.9x corrector, but I prefer the Baader MkIII as its easier to work with and give better stars.

I managed to get my scope out last night for the first time in a long time and it was also the first time I saw M31 through my own scope. Only a faint smudge but still impressive and it really does show how impressive your picture is.

You should put some copy right on that picture as you could sell the prints :)

I managed to get my scope out last night for the first time in a long time and it was also the first time I saw M31 through my own scope. Only a faint smudge but still impressive and it really does show how impressive your picture is.

You should put some copy right on that picture as you could sell the prints :)

Thanks! :)

I already use my images for Christmas cards or calendars, they make an interesting gift for the colleagues in the office - and the neighbours (by way of thanks for keeping it dark). I think this year it will be cards since I've not produced as many different images as last year (spending more time on bigger projects).

Money is the last thing I would think of when doing AP, as soon as money comes into a hobby then it sort of kills the joy becuase youre under pressure to do well (eg: like what would be expected of a musician). But having said that, I was approached by one of the lecturers at work in regard to getting one of my pics on A2 canvas as a gift - made about 30 quid from it, but that was a bonus I didnt expect - even though I had already quoted the actual cost of the canvas print.

That makes you a Professional AstroPhotographer - congratulations!

As for making money out of pictures, yes it does change the dynamic of it if you are making pictures at the request of others. If it were possible to make money out of the pictures that you actually want to make at the pace that you want to make them, then, in my world, that would be success. Essentially I am describing the life of an artist, but with the occasional bit of money... It's free to dream!

Archived