Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_android_vs_ios_winners.thumb.jpg.803608cf7eedd5cfb31eedc3e3f357e9.jpg

Helen ACourt

Connecting DSLR camera to telescope

I have a Nikon D5000 and a Nexstar 130slt. I have tried and tried to get an image when I connect the camera to the telescope with and with out Barlow lens. I just can not obtain an image. What am I doing wrong? Is it to do with the distance from camera sensor to telescope mirror? All help very welcome and badly needed.

We are going to the Forest of Galloway in a few weeks to see some dark skies and I would like to be closer to achieving a semi decent image

I can't really help as I don't know the scope but do come and say hello at Galloway.

Mike

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I suspect it is a focus issue.  Have a try during the daytime it will be easier.  

I'm not so familar with Newtonian's -  hopefully some-one will get back to you who is.  I hope it is not one of those situations where it's not possible without moving the mirror.  

Carole 

Edited by carastro
  • Like 1

Is this a newtonian scope? The newtonian-dslr focus thing can be difficult as you feel you need more inward travel on the focuser but it won't go in any more.

A barlow should bring the focal point (or whatever the technical term is) outwards, so should mean focus can be achieved. If a 2x barlow doesn't allow focus to be achieved, try pull it all out a bit more to see if with the barlow you need a bit more outwards travel.

Are you doing all of this at prime focus and the camera lens removed? Just checking.

Otherwise, i don't know. Does the camera have live view, or are you doing exposures and using trial and error?

James

• Like 1

Usually it is that the DSLR cannot move in sufficent to achieve focus.

Unless the T-ring comes in what would be a shorter variant - this assumes that there is some of it sticking out - it likely means moving the mirror or a replacement lower profile focuser.

Putting a barlow in often throws the image further out, meaning that you can then get the image to focus but a barlow also magnifies adn makes the image dimmer. Which you do not really want.

The SLT appears to be on an Alt/Az mount so long exposures will not be easy, the sky and the mount work in different ways.

• Like 1

Try removing Barlow lens from Barlow tube .as you are actually changing the focal length with the barlow .

• Like 1

The 130SLT uses a focuser that is compatible with both 1.25" and 2" eyepieces. If the focuser is similar to the Skywatcher 1.25"/2" focuser unscrew the eyepiece adapter and there will be a t-thread on the part that goes into the focuser tube. Attach the camera and t-ring to this thread.

This video shows how to do this

• Like 2

Hi Helen and welcome to SGL, should you be still having having trouble, try reposting you question into the section "Discussion - cameras" deals with problems associated with connecting cameras to telescopes :)

• Like 1

m37 - what a nice 8mm f8 Nikon lens you have in your avatar :)

Helen ACourt - can you reach any focus daytime with your scope? With things that are long away and stuff that are near you? I got a Nikon DLSR and I have succefully connect it to a TS Optics Newtonian 8" f4.

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for your responses. I was out in the garden last night with just the camera on a tripod on a timer and aimed at the Andromeda galaxy ( I think!!!) I stacked 80 photos and now have to master Photoshop Elements. I am no good at this teach yourself stuff. I need to join a club where I can meet up with others to show me how

Yes a club is a very good thing to join. New friends and your learning curve will be much faster. You can check where you are at the sky in a planetary program, there are free versions available on the web. I like Cartes Du Ciel and Stellarium is also very good but a bit different.