Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hi everyone from Cleveland, OH

bantoattila

My name is Attila Banto and I am currently living with my family (wife and 3 small kids + 1 one the way) in Cleveland Ohio. I just got into the hobby only about 3 months ago and as impulsive as I am I went all in and already acquired four scopes: 80mm refractor, 8 inch reflector, 12 inch dobsonian and an 8 inch SCT. I also got two equatorial mounts the Atlas EQ-G and the SkyView Pro. My initial intention was to do astrophotography but I soon realized that I need to familiarize myself with the skies first and do visual observation for a while and hopefully gradually, later I can "upgrade" to taking pictures. I have been doing most of the stargazing from my frontyard. The visibility of the sky is not the greatest since most of the southern part is blocked by some trees so I applied and got a permit to use a meadow in the public park five minutes from my house. As an observer I am looking to see deep sky object but so far I have not had much luck since there is a lot of light polution in my area and traveling to dark sites is a limited option for me right now, until the kids get a little older. And as crazy as it sounds I am contemplating the acquisition of an 12 inch Meady LX90 OTA in the hope to find that "ONE" scope that will allow me to view those galaxies and nebulas from the comfort of my backyard.
Of course I have quite a few of books and magazine subscriptions by now, and I have been reading about astronomy in my tiny spare time that I have. I am still excited though and hope to have found the hobby of my lifetime.
I have visited one astronomy club so far in my area and I intend to see more. It was a little disappointing to see most people at the stargazing party to be over seventy and not have representatives of my generation (I am 45).
I joined this forum to be part of a vibrant living community of stargazers: to learn, share and draw inspiration from fellow members who got bitten by this "bug".

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to SGL! Sounds like you have quite the collection there.

There are plenty of people on here that will answer any and all of your questions. I suggest going through as many of the topics on here as you can, it's truly amazing how much some of the people here know about this hobby!

Hi and welcome from Devon UK.

I'm fairly new to this myself, but we're definitely in the right place to get answers.

Spent a couple of hours in Cleveland once, just needed to get out of Akron for a while, friendly place I thought.

Do you have much of a view to the north? Could be darker skies out over the water.

Have fun with all that kit.

Ray

Hi Attila & Welcome to SGL.  You have a good selection of equipment there.  Before purchasing anymore you should buy this book as you are interested in AP - Making every Photon Count.  It is written by one  of the members of SGL, Steve Richards (Steppenwolf.)  It's a great read.

Hi and welcome from Devon UK.

I'm fairly new to this myself, but we're definitely in the right place to get answers.

Spent a couple of hours in Cleveland once, just needed to get out of Akron for a while, friendly place I thought.

Do you have much of a view to the north? Could be darker skies out over the water.

Have fun with all that kit.

Ray

I live an a suburb of Cleveland about 10 miles north of Akron. Unfortunately my northern skies (where downtown Cleveland is) are the most light polluted. I have been to the UK (and I was happy to learn today the the scotts voted to remain in it) twice. Both times in the Liverpool area. I love that country and the culture and history. Have listened to the 2020Astro podcast?

Greetings and welcome from Vermont. This is truly an eclectic and international forum you have come to! Good job! Make yourself at home and ask any questions that arise. This is a very friendly place with very intelligent people. And all here love to help.

Clear & Dark Skies,

Dave

Hi Dave. I see that you own a 12" Meade LX90 scope. Have you used in the city with light poluted skies? Would you recommend it to be used under such conditions?

Hi Attila & Welcome to SGL.  You have a good selection of equipment there.  Before purchasing anymore you should buy this book as you are interested in AP - Making every Photon Count.  It is written by one  of the members of SGL, Steve Richards (Steppenwolf.)  It's a great read.

Thanks for the suggestion. I cannot find the book on Amazon, although I have already heard of it before. Here is a list of books on astrophotography that I already acquired:

1. Astrophotography by Thierry Legault (Kindle)
2. CCD Astrophotography: High-Quality Imaging from the Suburbs by Adam Stuart (Paperback)
3. How to photograph the night sky like a Pro by Steve Rutherford (Kindle)
false
4. The 100 Best Astrophotography Targets: A monthly guide for CCD imaging with Amateur Telescopes (Patrick Moore's Practical Astronomy Series) by Ruben Kier

5. Getting Started: Long Exposure Astrophotography by Allan Hal (Kindle)

So far I started reading Allan Hal's book and Adam Stuart's one about CCD imaging (since I own two ccd cameras).

Archived