SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

NGC 281 - Pacman nebula (yes another one!)

VikN46

Hi All,

I have spent every opportunity this week imaging the said object, despite the lovely moon spoiling things a little.

I really gave it my best with my limited set up and processing knowledge.

Taken using my usual stuff:

SW 150 PDS, EQ5 Pro Synscan GOTO.

Guiding: SW ST80 and QHY5.

Modded Canon 600D and coma corrector with CLS clip filter.

Using: BYEOS, PHD, DSS, Photoshop CC.

A total of 6 hours Light frames,

60 Flats

115 Bias

18 Darks

Any comments, or advice and criticism appreciated.

15219064385_6144dd9633_n.jpgNGC 281 - PACMAN NEBULA by VikN46, on Flickr

I have been playing with this image and re stacked.

A total of 6 hours Light frames,

20 Flats

18 Darks

I may of over done it on the red now but anyway here it is and as I am quite partial to a monochrome a black and white version.

15037600460_1b54f9e739_n.jpgNGC 281 - Pacman Nebula - REPROCESSED by VikN46, on Flickr

15201371956_4defdb2c8e_n.jpgNGC 281 - Pacman Nebula and a Black and White version by VikN46, on Flickr

Hello,

Nice image you got there, good going to get 6hrs in. 

My attempt at this with my 600D after about a 105min using my 80ED

L_2014-09-04_NGC281_33_ISO800_105min__25

My preference is to leave some sky in there otherwise the image starts to look to clipped. I have reduced the blue channel slightly to take out some noise.

(Usual workflow also includes using petes actions in PS to reduce the amount of stars)

The 600D is a noisy beast on a hot summers night, although I would have though 6 hrs worth should have produced less noise.

Have you tried to stack cappa sigma without darks? what are your sub lengths and your ISO used?

Hi Chris,

Lovely image you have there :)

I stacked using Kappa Sigma clipping for the Lights, median for the Flats and Darks in DSS, no bias.

This was a mixture of 220s and 240s all at ISO 200, which is far from ideal but the Moon was washing it all out, I usually manage 300 - 600s at ISO 400 or 800 depending on the target and conditions.

Certainly looking forward to the cooler nights!

Hi Chris,

Lovely image you have there :)

I stacked using Kappa Sigma clipping for the Lights, median for the Flats and Darks in DSS, no bias.

This was a mixture of 220s and 240s all at ISO 200, which is far from ideal but the Moon was washing it all out, I usually manage 300 - 600s at ISO 400 or 800 depending on the target and conditions.

Certainly looking forward to the cooler nights!

I have been experimenting with ISO400 with 300sec subs, at +- 2hrs integration.

Seems with ISO800 with shorter subs, 90sec, 120sec or 180sec, with many of them to keep noise down and same integration, sometimes get a better result.

Either way I am bugged by pesky heat noise. 

ISO seems to make little difference to the heat noise, it seams only the length of sub makes a difference?

Archived