Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sticky binos

solo

Hi all. Got my binos out the other night - first time for a while, and the soft feel coating on the body has gone sticky. I've not had this problem before and was wandering if anyone else has had the same problem and if so , how did you get rid of it ? I've tried washing them with soapy water without success and I'm reluctant to try anything like white spirit or alcohol in case I make it worse. Any ideas?

Cheers, John.

Hi John.  I suppose you could try a tiny hidden area with alcohol or other cleaner using a cotton bud, see if it works and how it dries.

I have Isopropyl Alcohol, switch / contact cleaner, so I'd carefully try whatever you may have.

Hope you sort it, Ed.

I've had them a good few years now so the warranty is long expired. I keep them in a cupboard in our utility room which usually fairly cool so they haven't been getting warm. That's a good idea trying a little patch at a time with cleaner, reckon I'll give that a go tomorrow. Thanks for the advice. If all else fails a new pair binos might be the answer!!!!

Cheers, John.

I had the same problem with a small pair of Practica Binos some years ago. It was caused by my keeping them in the car glove locker where they obviously suffered from heat. I was never able to completely get rid of the stickiness despite trying various methods of cleaning. I think that the heat changed the nature of the plastic/rubber coating, but good luck on your cleaning attempts.

Ron

Archived