SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Possible aurora tonight

starman1969

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing obvious here in Limerick, just poked my head out of the office for a few minutes to see if there was anything obvious. Low-level fog, high level cirrus/haze. Polaris visible, Kochab barely visible. No hints of lightness to be seen to the north. Some altocumulus illuminated by the moon to the SE but nothing aurora-related it appears, to the naked eye at least.

Intensity has dropped 25% in the last 30mins, I think maybe a case of wrong place/wrong time for us... There would have been a good display at our lattitude in the middle of the North Atlantic a bit earlier but by the time it reaches our longitude it will be gone I think.

ChrisH

stayed until well past midnight, convinced myself the sky had a bit of a tinge to it at times, but the answer has to be no. the moon looked nice as it rose, a lovely orange colour and i saw one bright meteor flash through Perseus around 11:30.

took quite a few images just in case the DSLR picked up something my eyes could not.

I was out for about 4 hours & saw absolutely nothing, not a sausage from 9pm thru to 1am at my local dark site. Even my camera failed to pick up anything at all. Mind there was some annoying wispy cloud at first, which I think was caused party by jet trails. Then the moon came along.

I didn't see anything and took some quick pictures with my phone last night and didn't see anything on them either, so I didn't take out my other camera and went home. At home I didn't see anything on the images either and saw some people just 20 milies north of me had some decent low horizon aurora's pictures.

I awake this morning and take another look at my phone pictures and suddenly discover there are two with a faint red glow on it. :X I guess I learned my lesson and from now on always take my DSLR camera out and take some good pictures even though I don't see a thing.

We drove up to the remotest part of the Brecon and camped out from 10pm until nearly 2am. Nothing.

We must have seen the same meteorite Bunnygod1, as I clocked it around the same time and same place!

The skies were clear, and there was a build up of clouds forming after 1ish, but no lights!

Archived