Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Possible aurora tonight

starman1969

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought it was expected Friday night into Saturday morning? Or are there multiple flares heading our way?

From spaceweather.com:

STORM WARNING (UPDATED): Among space weather forecasters, confidence is building that Earth's magnetic field will receive a double-blow from a pair of CMEs on Sept. 12th. The two storm clouds were propelled in our direction by explosions in the magnetic canopy of sunspot AR2158 on Sept. 9th and 10th, respectively. Strong geomagnetic storms are possible on Sept. 12th and 13th as a result of the consecutive impacts. Sky watchers, even those at mid-latitudes, should be alert for auroras in the nights ahead.

Looks like the CME has reached us from the 1.6 X flare.

Second, Larger CME Sweeps Past Earth

The anticipated coronal mass ejection (CME) generated by the X1.6 solar flare on September 10th swept past Earth at 15:55 UTC. Solar Wind speeds as measured by the ACE spacecraft increased from 433.2 km/s, to 671.8 km/s. A Geomagnetic Sudden Impulse measuring 43 nT was detected by the ground based magnetometer in Boulder, Colorado. Increased geomagnetic activity, possibly reaching storm levels, will be possible in the hours ahead.

There was a chance of Aurora Borealis in my parts of Norway last night, but Aurora was a no-show... And I drove for almost an hour to find a suitable location.

It was cloudy too...

I didn't come home empty handed though...

Blefjell 02

Taken with a Canon EOS 700D on a whimsy tripod using a cheap Chinese made blue-tooth remote timer...

15 sec exposure at ISO 800 through a 14mm F2.8 lens.

Alveprinsen

Quite a bit of streaky hazy cloud here, fuzzy stars with halos.  No obvious aurora but the harvest moon made a stunning appearance with the illuminated wispy clouds, some lovely craters visible along the terminator.  Not much chance of seeing aurora now with the moon up here, but worth going out just for the moon.  Also saw a couple of shooting stars, one seemed to explode quite nicely in a bright flash in the North East.

Aurora Service EU coming up with this message now: 403 Forbidden

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /aurora-forecast/ on this server.

Been like that for a few hours now, maybe the server has crashed from the sudden interest.

Most of the sky is full of aurora here, it's been there over an hour and a half now.

It really messed up my attempt at imaging the North America nebula as it turned into a flat frame! Still that's one of the better ways to fail at imaging ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most of the sky is full of aurora here, it's been there over an hour and a half now.

It really messed up my attempt at imaging the North America nebula as it turned into a flat frame! Still that's one of the better ways to fail at imaging ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi, where are you   :smiley:

Archived