Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_2019_sp_banner.thumb.jpg.a0ff260c05b90dead5c594e9b4ee9fd0.jpg

Kbramley

Possible aurora over Uk

Just a quick heads up that there may be a possible aurora over the UK fri/sat, http://www.spaceweather.com/ . I'm up in the Galloway Forest atm so going to try imaging tonight just in case it starts early and it's my last night here so might as well give it a go :)

Will post any pics here if successful

Keith

• Like 2

Yeah the moon is a killer atm, had 3 crystal clear nights here at Galloway but not been able to image anything  with the wide field set up.

Well back from my adventure in the deep dark woods of Galloway, not a peep of the AB tonight, wouldn't of seen it anyway as it's horrible vis (very murky with the high pressure system we have) and the moon has washed the whole sky out once it rose. Was a nice stroll in the dark though, not a light anywhere and not a sound other than some rather disturbing wildlife  noises :)

Keith 

Hi chaps,

The cme is forecast to arrive on fridwy afternoon at approx 3pm so its looking good for friday night. The moon wont rise till 9ish so best visabilty will possibly be just after sunset.

Clear skies

• Like 1

im guessing there wont be much point for me in the south of the UK :(

good luck everyone

you never know, always worth a look!

• Like 1

Hi Keith,

I had a very good night yesterday (in the Netherlands) but did not see any trace of aurora, so I turned to a few double stars, some clusters and the Moon of course. 

• Like 1

im guessing there wont be much point for me in the south of the UK :(

good luck everyone

Saw the March 89 aurora here, as said always worth a look.

I will be out having a look just in case.

• Like 1

Clearing here at Pilling, but the current AB forecast is still not good, although these things generally pop up over a very short time, monitoring this site here and waiting for a significant rise in activity between now and morning http://aurorawatch.lancs.ac.uk/

Clear skies

I'm on the top of a mountain looking North over Mid-Wales plenty of cloud but some holes as well- more suprised that I have a data connection...

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I got the gear still in a pile after my Galloway trip, ready to head to the beach and look north at the slightest indication of activity ;)

Anyone in north Scotland is currently in with a chance, yellow alert come in and it's still rising :)

Been to the revival at goodwood and so tired falling asleep at the table so it is a pass here clear too.

Had a quick look just before the Moon rose. I thought I could see a slight greenish tint to my northern horizon, but a 20 second shot from a fixed tripod revealed I was kidding myself. Got to see a very red moonrise through, so not a wasted trip. That will be another project for me sometime, to video a moonrise.

All a bit frustrating to be honestnwith a fast solar wind, strong geomagnetic fiels but it had a very northerly bz , if this had swung south then im sure wenwould have seen something. Things may destabilise though so if it swings south then we may still see something tonight.

Cheers

Was out watching just in case.

Ended up taking a few widefields with the 600D and Sigma 17-50mm zoom.

It's not to good with stars round the edge but was a bit of fun doing some constellations.

10sec exposures 17mm ISO 3200 no filter so some nasty lp off the clouds.

Also caught a meteor whizzing past Vega.

The Plough

post-30455-0-75480400-1410600733_thumb.j

Cassiopeia

post-30455-0-00264700-1410600836_thumb.j

Meteor near Vega

post-30455-0-55914800-1410600877_thumb.j

Was up on the north Norfolk coast near Cley from 8:30pm 'til  5:30am with good clear dark skies marred only by the Moon.

Had a great time scanning the Milky Way from floor to floor , and all those low bits I can't usually see . but no sign of aurora.

Lots of others turned out for a view , out of the car , up the shingle bank , quick look overhead with a 1MW torch then off home swearing about the weatherman ... most were gone by 11pm ...  :p

Just found a really nice photo from Cromer though ( about 10 miles west ) a sky full of fast , east to west moving clouds , all lit-up by Cromers orange glow , poor chap's insistent that it's the aurora and that it was visible for hours ... won't be convinced otherwise bless him ...  :rolleyes:

Heres' my No-rora pic form the Usk Reservoir in the Breacon Beacons...   LP (from darkest mid Wales)  and moonlit high clouds ....

Single 20s Static Shot from Canon 5D Mk III ISO 1600 (auto dark) with Samyang 14/2.8 at f4.5 Developed in DXO Optic Pro 8 Elite and PP in Adobe CC

Ursa%20Major%20on%20Usk%20P5D_1286_DxO.p

• Like 3