SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Possible aurora over Uk

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well back from my adventure in the deep dark woods of Galloway, not a peep of the AB tonight, wouldn't of seen it anyway as it's horrible vis (very murky with the high pressure system we have) and the moon has washed the whole sky out once it rose. Was a nice stroll in the dark though, not a light anywhere and not a sound other than some rather disturbing wildlife  noises :)

Keith 

Had a quick look just before the Moon rose. I thought I could see a slight greenish tint to my northern horizon, but a 20 second shot from a fixed tripod revealed I was kidding myself. Got to see a very red moonrise through, so not a wasted trip. That will be another project for me sometime, to video a moonrise.

Was out watching just in case.

Ended up taking a few widefields with the 600D and Sigma 17-50mm zoom.

It's not to good with stars round the edge but was a bit of fun doing some constellations.

10sec exposures 17mm ISO 3200 no filter so some nasty lp off the clouds.

Also caught a meteor whizzing past Vega.

The Plough

post-30455-0-75480400-1410600733_thumb.j

Cassiopeia

post-30455-0-00264700-1410600836_thumb.j

Meteor near Vega

post-30455-0-55914800-1410600877_thumb.j

Was up on the north Norfolk coast near Cley from 8:30pm 'til  5:30am with good clear dark skies marred only by the Moon.

Had a great time scanning the Milky Way from floor to floor , and all those low bits I can't usually see . but no sign of aurora.

Lots of others turned out for a view , out of the car , up the shingle bank , quick look overhead with a 1MW torch then off home swearing about the weatherman ... most were gone by 11pm ...  :p

Just found a really nice photo from Cromer though ( about 10 miles west ) a sky full of fast , east to west moving clouds , all lit-up by Cromers orange glow , poor chap's insistent that it's the aurora and that it was visible for hours ... won't be convinced otherwise bless him ...  :rolleyes:

Archived