Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Grab and go mount for solar imaging and observing

stevil

Hi,

I am looking for some advice on a simple grab and go scope primarily to be used for solar imaging and observing (and nightime observing on my Mak 127).

Whilst an EQ, I imagine, would be very stable, would an ALT AZ like a Skywatcher AZ4 be ok for imaging the sun? As i said, I'm after something fairly light and can be set up very quickly,

Many thanks

Steve

Better give an idea of budget you are willing to consider.

Suspect an Alt/Az should be OK for solar, never done it but the one instance I saw of it (and recall) the person used a webcam. took video and Registax to build the result. So a match to planetary where an Alt/Az is fine.

If EQ then, if within budget, consdier the iOptron Smart EQ Pro.

It gives the EQ aspect and was aimed at portability.

The load it takes is not on the high side however, think it states 5Kg (11lb)

Hi Ronin, thanks for your reply. to be honest I'd be looking at a fairly cheap one. My stage 2 PST mod (an Evostar 90mm donor OTA) has wiped out pretty much all my astronomical funds and the wife wouldn't be best pleased if I were to spend too much on my next acquisition. (I also use a webcam and then AS2 to stack the image then use photoshop elements to add false colour.

I currently use a Nexstar SLT which is a ALT AZ Goto and it tracks the sun automatically, I was looking for a more basic manual set up without a power tank and wondering if it was do-able.  

The EQ you suggest appears interesting but I would have to wait a little to get the funds up.

Thanks

Steve

AZ4 has a very good reputation, although I've not used one.

Also look at a Giro II or III, which are excellent manual alt-Az mounts. I have a Giro-WR but that may be a little small for your requirements. Much of the stability comes from the tripod though, an EQ6 tripod or similar 2" steel legged job would be rock solid.

There is also the Altair Astro Sabre which again I've not used but gets good reviews

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi,

I have a Skywatcher Merlin mount which gets used for solar and also shots of the moon, but have just bought an iOpton Cube Pro, which is possibly slightly better.  Both do a very good job at solar imaging and are compact enough for me to take abroad on a flight so tick the 'portable' box.

They are both GOTO and cost may be an issue, but if you want to do imaging you really need something which tracks.

I took an ST-80 and white light wedge to the Caribbean last Xmas, but only took a small photographic tripod.  It was a bit of a pain to set up and then once set I got about 30 seconds of video of the sun drifting across the fame, but it did work.  The big problem, getting it lined up only to find cloud comes across and then spending the next bit of blue lining it up again.

Alt/AZ either tracking or GOTOs come up fairly often on the second hand market, perhaps that would make a good purchase?

Robin

Hi, thanks for the replies. A Cube Pro looks nice however I don't think it would handle my Mak 127 and my PST Modded Evostar 90mm.

If its tracking I need I guess I could just rough it with my Nexstar SLT tripod as it does not a bad job.

Thanks.

Cube Pro wouldn't take the weight of both scopes together, but would manage both of them on their own.  It is rated at 5Kg, with the supplied counter weight.  If anything the Cube Pro has more flex than my Merlin mount, but it is very nice to use.

If you have the SLT mount (tracking or GOTO), then a Merlin mount would be no advantage and a Cube Pro weighs the same as a Merlin mount so it is difficult to see the advantage.  I know what you are going to ask, why have I got both?  Well, the Cube Pro is smaller and I keep it at work so I just need to cart my scope back and forth.

As David says you don't need a tracking mount, but it does make life easier and if you want to put a barlow in for some close ups it is pretty much essential.

Robin

Archived