SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Open Club  ·  33 members

West Midlands

Lunatic

miguel87

So the first crystal clear night in a while is forecast in Solihull. And we have a full moon! Is this a time to scorn our partner for dribbling all over our jet black sky? Or should we embrace our milky friend and spend some time studying its wrinkles?

I bought a good Moon map and a book to help me explore the Moon a bit more.  I am really enjoying it, particularly taking detailed pictures like this.

The irony is that when it's Full Moon and most deep sky imaging is out of the question, the Moon is also at its least helpful for both observing and imaging.  On a more positive note, the Moon is bright enough the overcome Birmingham's light pollution, so it's something to look at when I can't get out to somewhere dark.

13706924445_d1e4ec4486_z.jpgApennine Mountains by porkyb, on Flickr

Perhaps if we get a clear sky next weekend the moon will allow some observing. I'll be off to the Cotswolds to camp, observe, photo and I hope to see our other milky friend.   :grin:

A moon chart is an interesting idea I usually find myself fighting the urge to get the scope out during a clear night with a bright moon. I had kids  exploring the moon recently. I connected the scope to an xbox controller and a webcam. I'm not sure if the enjoyed using the xbox controller more than viewing the moon though.  :sad:

Ian

Good capture Andy, I can deal with the waxing Moon , the terminator is a lovely hunting ground. However, I just can't get on when it's on the wane. Luckily it rises later and later.

Try some doubles and triples if you're too light. Certainly works here from the edge of town,

Nick.

Archived