Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Moon:07/09/14

LukeSkywatcher

Last night i was out and about for an hour or so. I spotted the Moon peeking out from behind some cloud and decided to wait and see if the clouds cleared. They did after a short while. What i was treated to blew my mind. I only had my eyes to observe with. Firstly, the Moon looked bigger then usual. It was pristine white with the obvious shades of grey (no jokes about a certain book). The next thing i noticed was that i could see a LOT more details/areas on the surface that ive never really seen before with just my eyes. I just couldnt believe how much i could see. I dont have new glasses or anything. The only difference is the location i was observing from.

Its much darker here then my last house, but i didnt think that observing the Moon from a dark(er) sky location would make a difference. I suppose it makes sense though. What truly amazed me though was that the Moon was almost full phase and contrast at this time is usually very bad. I even spotted Tycho, which in itself doesnt sound amazing except for the fact that its the first time i can say that i saw it with just my eyes

It really was a wonderful time and as it got darker, i started to see dozens of stars. Some of them so faint that i'm sure ive never seen them before (not that ive seen every star in the sky). If you can spot really small faint stars in the sky under a near full Moon, you know you are in a good location. I went to bed a happy chap and opened the blind and lay in bed watching the Moon drift across the sky until it set behind some trees.

Tonight looks like it will be clear also, so i may get my 20x90 bins out and just enjoy the Moon again............even if it is a full Moon tonight.

Paul

Agreed, it was a treat last night Quantum 4 15x70s on a monopod...still learning crater names*, but Aristarchus (I think?) was very bright, and the surface detail was lovely

*one of my favourite craters (dunno why, just always liked it) is a small one, Proclus.

Hyades & Pleiades were great too, not too affected by the moon due to their location....a nice (short due to back-gip) evening. Bring on the Show!

Well spotted Paul. I believe tonights full moon is another "SUPER" moon, the third this year. It is within 90 percent of its closest approach to Earth so it can appear, to our eyes, as much as 14 percent larger in the sky and 30 percent brighter than normal moons. 

Well spotted Paul. I believe tonights full moon is another "SUPER" moon, the third this year. It is within 90 percent of its closest approach to Earth so it can appear, to our eyes, as much as 14 percent larger in the sky and 30 percent brighter than normal moons. 

It did look like a "super Moon", but i thought that was last month. It was spectacular and the "Man In The Moon" was up in my face giving it loads and i loved it. Ive never enjoyed a naked eye view of the Moon so much in my life. Plato and the Mare Iridum (bay of rainbows) region is my most favourite place on the Moon.

I call it the Chicken skull.

It did look like a "super Moon", but i thought that was last month. It was spectacular and the "Man In The Moon" was up in my face giving it loads and i loved it. Ive never enjoyed a naked eye view of the Moon so much in my life. Plato and the Mare Iridum (bay of rainbows) region is my most favourite place on the Moon.

I call it the Chicken skull.

I understand there are three "Super" Moons this year with August being the closest to Earth.

For info http://www.cityam.com/1410107491/supermoon-september-look-out-another-giant-moon-tuesday

This was August.

post-34685-0-72586100-1410189704_thumb.j

I was out last night with my scope to complete my luna 100 for the year and was looking for a torrid-

time trying to see Rimae Sirsalis just in between Cruger and the crater of the same name.......,

and there it was; looking like someone had drawn it on with a thin but very black felt pen

Some of the tops ( of I think, montes Rook and other craters) behind the Montes Cordillera were lit-up

free of the disk to look like an exploding firework above the lit part of the moon (or maybe one of those many-spined

fibre optic things where the ends of the fibres light up).

Either way it was Spectacular with very sharp seeing although the light reflecting across the sky fro the moon

did beggar me up for seeing C/E2 Later on but I'll forgive Luna this once

Mick

Archived