Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Eagle Nebula (M16) with an unmodded DSLR

14978382809_5630c1f668_z.jpg

Eagle Nebula (M16) by glowingturnip, on Flickr

The Eagle Nebula (M16) is a young open cluster of stars in the constellation Serpens. It contains several active star-forming gas and dust regions, including the famous "Pillars of Creation", photographed by the Hubble Space Telescope.  It is part of a diffuse emission nebula, or H II region. This region of active current star formation is about 7000 light-years distant. The tower of gas that can be seen coming off the nebula is approximately 9.5 light-years or about 90 trillion kilometers long.
15x 300s lights at ISO400, flats darks and bias, equipment as per sig, taken with an unmodded noisy DSLR.  Processed in Pixinsight.
It's a little noisy, and could definitely do with Ha data, but not bad for my ratty old DSLR.  There's definitely a shiny new modded Canon DSLR somewhere in my future I think.
It's also a first light for my coma corrector, and guiding with my QHY.
Hope you enjoy !

14978382809_5630c1f668_z.jpg

Eagle Nebula (M16) by glowingturnip, on Flickr

The Eagle Nebula (M16) is a young open cluster of stars in the constellation Serpens. It contains several active star-forming gas and dust regions, including the famous "Pillars of Creation", photographed by the Hubble Space Telescope. It is part of a diffuse emission nebula, or H II region. This region of active current star formation is about 7000 light-years distant. The tower of gas that can be seen coming off the nebula is approximately 9.5 light-years or about 90 trillion kilometers long.

15x 300s lights at ISO400, flats darks and bias, equipment as per sig, taken with an unmodded noisy DSLR. Processed in Pixinsight.

It's a little noisy, and could definitely do with Ha data, but not bad for my ratty old DSLR. There's definitely a shiny new modded Canon DSLR somewhere in my future I think.

It's also a first light for my coma corrector, and guiding with my QHY.

Hope you enjoy !

Oooh nice and tasty, next target for me. I think you have done well to get that detail. I might wait for a cold night though as the noise on my DSLR is driving me batty. :)

Archived