Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

How was the Universe created? How will it end or will it end?

It's some 40 odd years since I became aware of my self awareness ( :) ) and started thinking about why I am.

For all the scientific endeavours that have tried to answer my question in the intervening years, I have to say I'm no nearer to understanding why.

The physics has become so esoteric that I wonder if science has taken off down a rabbit hole of its own making.

Science seems to be exhausting itself on working out why the chicken crossed the road, but maybe it never did!

Whatever that might mean... :)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a pointless exercise guessing the final fate of the Universe. We don't know enough about it for a start.

Throwing a few mathematical equations at it sn't going to reveal categorically how it's demise will come about.

We were not here to see it's birth, and we sure as hell won't be around to see it's death.

Let's just enjoy the bits of it we can see, and explore. And as near as I can envisage for mankind, , that will be confined to our Solar family.

Let's worry about what our own star is doing, or might do, the other trillions and trillions of stars are minding their own business  :grin:.

Ron. 

• 2 months later...

From what I've gathered the universe is just a random a quantum fluctuation that just happened to get out of hand.

Or another way of putting it:

"We're here because we're here, because we're here, because we're here. We're here because we're here, because we're here because we're here....."

As for STL star seeding check out ACC "The Songs of Distant Earth" (Novel version).

Oh, and Europa became available at the end of "3001 The Final Odyssey"

I feel that it just in a part of its cycle, it will epxand to the point where there is no way anythign can have any form of interaction with anything else and thats the start again so to speak. That point been eqal to the universe been infinatly large and small at once the terms are interchangable as its the same thing or infact no-thing.

I prefer the Eternal reccurence theorum. It sits well with me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_return

The idea that I have always lived this life, always will do and the Universe is somehow linked to our perception of it just seems to be a natural feeling as far as i'm concerned.

On that note, I can't wait to get married again next time around but i'm not looking forward to having another operation in hospital. Mind you I know I survive everytime so its ok I suppose.

I can't imagine coming around again, I'm so glad that I have lived in my time, I wouldn't want to experience the terror's that many have suffered before me.

I hope that when my end comes..it is indeed the end and I don't experience consciousness again, unfortunately i believe that it is very possible and consciousness is shared.

I'm going to get well bladdered if I'm right :)

Edit...I've just realised that my musings mean that its quite possible I've been here before, therefore; I am now going to get bladdered.....what a great excuse!!!

Perhaps we live in a multi hearse???

Ray

I can't imagine coming around again...

I'm going to get well bladdered if I'm right :)

Edit...I've just realised that my musings mean that its quite possible I've been here before, therefore; I am now going to get bladdered.....what a great excuse!!!

Perhaps we live in a multi hearse???

Ray

Indeed, wash your pleshure? Lesssssssh 'ave a wake! ;)

• 4 weeks later...

I'm with Ron. I think all talk of reaching eternity by zooming off in space craft is ultimately just egoism. We might extend our species a little that way but in my view the wisest thing to do is see ourselves as temporary and enjoy it.

I also think that the biggest weakness in present physics is our understanding of time. We scarcely have one at all. It seemed easy enough until Einstein and quantum theory and then the nice linear progression fell in bits - where it remains. Beginning? End? Now? These are references to a medium or dimension called time about which the little we understand is that we don't understand it. Take the double slit experiment. We say to the electrons, 'We are going to fire you one at once this time,' and the electrons say, 'Come again. What does one at once mean? We have no idea what you're on about...'

Olly

Simplest idea we have is:

BB, energy from that condensed to matter (E=MC2), this collected under gravity to form the universe we see and don't see, something is accelerating the expansion of the universe (that's the odd bit presently, we call it dark energy, dark meaning we have no idea what it is), eventually all nuclear fusion will end, universe goes dark and over a fairly long period matter decays to ???

It's called "dark" because it doesn't interact with any of the known forces except for gravity. No electromagnetic interaction means no light.

It's interesting that we are living in a period of time to be able to actually measure dark energy- in the early expansion of the universe it might not have been visible and it may not be able to be measured with our current methods in the future, as the galaxies get farther apart. At some point the sky might go dark as the light may not be able to reach the ever increasing distance between the galaxies?

Archived