Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss.thumb.jpg.5b348d6a5e7f27bdcb79e9356b7fc03b.jpg

jason dufton

Hi - Barlow Lenses ?

I've added a reference to barlow lenses to the title of your thread Jason so that folks know the topic involved.

The very best barlow-type lenses I've used are the Tele Vue Powermates but there are other less costly decent alternatives too which I'm sure others will chip in with soon :smiley:

The best barlows are the long models. Shorties use much more steeply curved lenses.

I bought two Tele Vue barlows, many years ago. They perform as advertised by Al: they add magnification and nothing else, except for a bit of extra eye relief.

Sometimes, longer focal length eyepieces "don't barlow well". The eye relief gets too big and the view through the eyepiece becomes vignetted.. Tele-extenders like the TV Powermates don't have that problem. But tele-extenders are heavier and more expensive.

• Like 1

I love my Tal Barlow, very reasonably priced and great quality. They tend to get great reviews too.

• Like 1

Make that 'Tal' stupid auto correct.

Corrected :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought two Tele Vue barlows, many years ago. They perform as advertised by Al: they add magnification and nothing else...

My exact feelings about my Tele Vue 3x Barlow - one of my most favourite bits of kit. Superb.

My wallet can only dream what the Powermates are like!

I dont use a barlow anymore, but of the ones i have owned/used, the TAL was the best. They have been discontinued now but you might find one second hand somewhere. 

My personal favourite is the TMB 1.8x - to my eyes it's like not having a barlow in there at all. But they're very expensive. I found the TV good too, but still preferred the TMB. I'd second the comment about the shorties - unless space is a premium for some reason, gotta ask yourself do you want the optical designer to make it as short as it can be or make it as good as it can be :)

For planetary observing, I still prefer a nice run of EPs but for DSOs a Barlow really does come in handy and effectively double's your eyepiece kit without too much expense. I have tried a few Barlows and for now have settled on Tele Vue's x2. It is a really nice bit of kit and although you may have to spend a tad more (but not necessarily so), it's quality and ergonomics should offer you sufficient peace of mind to be with you for many years to come.