Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_android_vs_ios_winners.thumb.jpg.803608cf7eedd5cfb31eedc3e3f357e9.jpg

HighHo

TV series recommendations?

I came across "The planets" a BBC series which I had from many years back, a program that when i first watched seemed ground breaking and breth taking images. Obviously time has moved on, and programs such as "wonders of the solar system" have come along, and have been great, and I like Brian Cox, but just found them lacking the same detail as "The planets" series. Just wondered if anyone had any recommedations for more up to date programs?

Good question. I used to have a great VHS box set called "The Astronomers" that I found so inspiring when I was younger. It had a great episode with John Dobson ("come and see the moon"); I loved the series so much I learned to play the theme tune on the piano. Ah, they were the days with time on my hands!

But I imagine nowadays it would look very dated indeed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I can imagine there are many Dob fans (and those who just see/appericate John Dobson as hero he his, I was going to say of his time but his legacy is still very much on going)  that would love to see that footage today. Certianly some footage is just timeless regadless of its age.

Was hoping more for astronomy than a chemisty lesson :)  Would have more luck watching this:

Spartacus:- Blood and Sand?

Dodgy acting, comically poor script and truly laughable FX but one of my guilty pleasures!

My topic might be wrong (sorry), Im happy to have other programs mentioned, but if possible at least alongside an astro program to my intial post. Maybe we need a new post for hat we are watching in general :) (I loved utopia on c4!)

The original Cosmos, by Carl Sagan.

It shows it's age, but I found it very easy to follow. More so than even the all new Cosmos series.

• Like 2

The original Cosmos, by Carl Sagan.

It shows it's age, but I found it very easy to follow. More so than even the all new Cosmos series.

+1 for Cosmos, by Carl Sagan, bought it on DVD a while excellent!

• Like 1

Thank you, I have to say I seen clips of Cosmos by Carl Sagan but never watched the whole thing, I will try and pick up this and the new series for a watch. :)
I always loved what I have seen from Carl Sagan for his enthusiasm and perspective while also getting his views on weapons and protecting nature/eco systems on our own planet.

Other than cosmos (new), would love to heat of any other newer programs people have found intresting.

How about the BBC's 'Space Odyssey - Voyage to the Planets', a two-part pseudo-documentary, set in the near future, which depicts a manned 'grand tour' of the solar system. I thought it was quite good...

Not TV but YouTube has some good stuff on it, wonders of the universe, Stargazing live, oh loads are on there to see. I put them on when I am ironing  :kiss: makes that boring job a little more interesting for me.

"How the universe works" from Discovery.  It occasionally gets repeated on Quest and you can get it on DVD.

An excellent series with some fabulous graphics, especially the episodes on planets and moons.