Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ES MV EPs

RichM63

Have a little search, there were quite a few threads and reviews on these eyepieces when they first came out, and since!

The 68° eyepieces still are an absolute bargain and if you like the design and the eye cup, I'm not sure you can go far wrong for the money.

Similarly, I can vouch for the 24mm 82° MV which is lovely in the 200p, but a bit more expensive.

Check out my signature :)

The only note of caution is that the eye relief on the 16mm may be a bit short for some glasses wearers. So, for some, this one takes a bit of practice. And the cap won't stay on the end. Optically it is an absolute gem.

The 24mm MV and the 12mm Delos are my most used eyepieces.

Paul

I have both the 24 and 16mm MVs. I love the 24, I use it in an f/6 frac, I don't bother with a finder. The edge (approx. more than 80% from centre of view) is slightly distorted but nothing I can't live with. I haven't had much time with the 16 yet as I only got it last week, but I'm hoping it'll be as good as its bigger brother. They are both very well made and I personally really like the twist up eyecups, and unlike others, I haven't found any excess grease on them.

Roy

Thanks very much folks. Good to hear that it is not all just 'hype'.

Going to give my 'Astro-Jar' a shake and see if I can manage both in one go. Saves on delivery.

Good point about spectacles, although I do wear them all the time I don't need them for telescope work.

Hi,

the 34, 28, 24 and 20mm are very good eyepieces. I use them frequently. The 16mm is probably just as good. 

With these eyepieces, the eye relief gets tighter as the focal length  decreases. The 20mm is still comfortable if you don't wear eyeglasses. I'm not sure about the 16mm.

You can /

Luckily I don't use my spectacles when observing, and can happily use the stock SW 10mm so I reckon that the 16mm ER shouldn't be an issue.

I can only use my right eye.

I looked at the informative article about undressing the EP, but as I have to seriously scrimp and save to add anything to the 'Astro-Jar' I would be hesitant about stripping one of these down, just in case I need to sell it on.

However all is not lost, I figured out a financial risk free solution to gain the extra 5mm for ER if required.

In that I can always 'shave' off my right eye lashes and eyebrow using one of those small rotary trimmers. :)

From reading everything you guys and others say about these EPs, at these prices I really can't go wrong so both will be ordered.

Cheers,

Rich.

Collimation is the key.

I had some annoying astigmation with my 24mm because the scope needed tuning in (nothing wrong with the eyepieces)

The laser collimator arrived yesterday, and both scopes were significantly out compared to the "hole in a film canister" technique.

I'm expecting good things to get better, now that the mirrors are pointing in the right direction.

Budget for a decent collimator tool when you buy the eyepieces.

I have the 24mm which gathers lots of Iight, and makes the stars sparkle i.e. Double cluster.

and I use the 16mm in a barlow, (3-element Revelation 2.5x Barlow) good for Saturn, Jupiter, or bright nebula at high mag (Ring, Dumbell).

Agreed Reeny. I spent the bad weather at the beginning of the year deliberately randomly throwing the collimation out of both primary and secondary and then working at getting things right. I now have the proccess nailed, with my yellow and pink cardboard + cheshire + P/Scam + AlsCollimation aid.

I had the 24/82 ep and sold it. I wear glasses and simply couldnt get along with it, it seemed strange when putting my eye up against it, I am not a big fan of flat eyecups and this was also part the reason why I got rid of my Axiom 31mm also.

Anyway, It was basically starting to gather dust and so I got rid. Optically it was ok although in my opinion, not as good as the SW UWA 22mm I got to replace it. Each to thier own though eh!

Steve

Now that the hiaitus has had time to settle, what do owners of MV 24mm and 16mm EPs think about them?

I'm sorely tempted to pick up a pair but would like user's comments.

Use in either the 200 or 150 P.

Cheers,

Rich

I have the 24mm and had the 16mm. They are some of the sharpest EPs I have looked through and very well corrected in circa F5 scopes as you will get without a coma corrector.

They are a complete no brainer IF the ER of the 16mm isn't an issue. It wasn't for me, but a well priced (£185) 17.3mm Delos and the knowledge that my eyes aren't getting better, is the only reason the MV 16mm isn't still in there.

Russell

Archived