Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Clip-Filter (EOS) with ASTRONOMIK CLS-CCD

Hello all,

I'm looking into getting this kind of filter for my Canon 550D to reduce light pollution. This type will fit my camera and is also compatible with CCD cameras. So it's good for my progression when I decide to slash out and get a CCD.

I'm just wondering if there's much of a difference in the picture between the "Clip-Filter (EOS) with ASTRONOMIK CLS vs CLS" and the "Clip-Filter (EOS) with ASTRONOMIK CLS vs CLS-CCD" when fitted to a DSLR? 

Will the CCD compatible one be as good or better than the non CCD compatible one? 

Also, does anyone know which kind of CCDs the filter will be compatible with? 

Thank you!

Will :)

Hi,

The two different filter are for different reasons

The non CCD version is for modded or unmodded DSLR cameras that have an IR filter still in the camera, most cameras when modded have two filters in them but only one is removed the other is left in the camera because it gives a very good IR cut which you need with digital imaging with these camera.

If both filters are removed that is called full spectrum mod, which would make it the same as a dedicated CCD camera that does not have any filters in front of the chip, and so you will need the CCD version in this case, because it has the add IR needed.

If your camera is not modded then you certainly don't need the CCD version it will be overkill and they cost more.

So,in summary the filters are identical as far as LP cut, but the CCD version has extra IR cut, so,it all depends on what camera you are using it on,

1. modded with 1 filter removed which is the normal mod that most of us have done......normal CLS filter

2. modded with both filters removed, full spectrum mod........CCD CLS version filter

3. or and unmoddd camera.......normal CLS filter

Just because it is branded as a CCD version filter, it is NOT meant for CCD cameras only DSLR cameras, so don't get confused by that,

Hope that helps

Olly

Hi,

The two different filter are for different reasons

The non CCD version is for modded or unmodded DSLR cameras that have an IR filter still in the camera, most cameras when modded have two filters in them but only one is removed the other is left in the camera because it gives a very good IR cut which you need with digital imaging with these camera.

If both filters are removed that is called full spectrum mod, which would make it the same as a dedicated CCD camera that does not have any filters in front of the chip, and so you will need the CCD version in this case, because it has the add IR needed.

If your camera is not modded then you certainly don't need the CCD version it will be overkill and they cost more.

So,in summary the filters are identical as far as LP cut, but the CCD version has extra IR cut, so,it all depends on what camera you are using it on,

1. modded with 1 filter removed which is the normal mod that most of us have done......normal CLS filter

2. modded with both filters removed, full spectrum mod........CCD CLS version filter

3. or and unmoddd camera.......normal CLS filter

Just because it is branded as a CCD version filter, it is NOT meant for CCD cameras only DSLR cameras, so don't get confused by that,

Hope that helps

Olly

Thank you very much Olly! Amazing enlightening.

I am in the process of sending my camera off to be modded, just the 1 filter mod (like most have done :) )

So I will invest in the normal CLS filter to accompany it. Hopefully my results will slowly improve and not keep looking like a pink/ orange haze.

Thanks,

Will :)

The modded camera will be superb, and you also have to keep in mind that the AStronomik CLS LP filter ARE designed for use on modded cameras and not un modded, the filter will restore the colour balance on a modded camera to almost perfect, in fact with the CLS filter in place you can almost use the camera for daytime photography, try it and you will see what I mean, after the mod without the filter in daytime everything will have a red tinge because of the extra Ha that will now come through, but put the filter in place and back to almost normal with no coloured cast.

So at night you should get natural looking images with no LP or colour cast from the filter.

You won't regret the mod

Cheers

Olly

Archived