Bresser Messier AR127L Good or Bad

hi all,

if this post isn't in the right section, please move it.

i had no idea about what i needed as a telescope. it all looked a bit too confusing.

i have never used 1 before. the above mentioned is the choice i made. i asked around a few people i knew from work and a few mates about it and they said it looked good as a beginner scope.

i wanted a scope that i could use for a few years without having to upgrade to a new one. basically i didn't want a telescope that could only look at the moon and if i squint really hard see Saturn's rings.

i wanted a decent one from the start then in a few years time buy something that would rival Hubble.

did i make the right choice for my wants?

be honest..........

I bought it and was delivered this morning. I did get a few peoples opinions before but after making the purchase I stumbled across this awesome forum.

I'm in Sydney Australia on the outskirts of Sydney. Light pollution is not an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Super scope. Just take your time. A Telrad finder or a rdf will help you find targets easier. Take the big view first , get used to constellations and the treasures they contain.

Don't forget to post your findings, plenty of friendly help available here.

Nick.

Believe it is a fairly good scope.

Seems more common and so more feedback from the US.

People there with one have generally been positive on the scope, the proviso is to know it is an Achro and not to expect Apo performance - many do it would seem.

Fairly big lump, also I see the Bressier site has a couple of odd figures or they measure things different. The tube length is given as 1220mm whereas the focal length is 1200. Usually the diagonal and dew shield are not included and the tube is then always shorter then the focal length. Actually their figures are a bit of a mess, they say f/8 but if 127 and 1200 then it is f/9.44. I recall this from a few months ago, the numbers did not quite tie in, I think the numbers from another scope got mixed in.

It is one that if I wanted a biggish refractor for general use I would get myself - I have looked at it a few times.

Being part of ES (JOC) they seem to be making some well aimed refractors, the Achro being Bressier the ED's+APO's being ES branded.

Don't think you will go wrong with it, so long as the physical size and weight are OK, will need therefore a fairly solid mount to put the thing on.

There will be a little CA on the bright objects, however I suspect not very much.

Reading what they supply expect to go out and buy eyepieces almost immediatly, they seem to provide just one and that is a 2" eyepiece so will likely be a fair lump of an eyepiece. Reasonable plossl's should be OK as the scope if f/8, but whatever matches the BST's with you should be excellent. Never believe that the max mag is 250x, I would suggest you aim at the 150x region and then see how it actually performs before considering any higher.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Yeah she is a big girl. It's for my 30th so I'm waiting till tomorrow for the big open. As for a stand, the blumming tripod is heavier way heavier than the scope.

As for range I was going to check out the moon, then look for planets. Then I was off to deep space.

It's all a bit Star Trek for me. Exploring the unexplored to me.

As soon as I can afford I was going to get it set up for photos as I have a pretty good digital camera.

I can't wait to crack open the box now.

I didn't want to spend a little, get a scope that I would be disappointed in then look for a better one. I thought if just get a good 1 from the start.

Here's hoping.

I had very similar scope for a while 127/1200 achromat and for lunar and planetary views it was really very nice. The deep sky views were limited by the 127mm aperture but it showed the brighter objects well. I hope you enjoy it :)

You've got yourself a cracking first scope: 20 years ago hardened amateurs would have killed to get a scope like this for the money you can nowadays. I had this very same scope some years ago and really liked it. No, it's not a high end apochromat but it will deliver some great views provided your expectations are realistic.

As Nick and Ronin wisely said, pace yourself, learn the constellations, get a decent sky atlas and don't walk before you can run.

That "blumming lump" of a tripod will prove to be a godsend, as  it will keep your scope pretty solid and rigid - which is what you need when you start to increase the power (magnification) on objects such as the Moon. The Moon with this scope will look stunning especially between a quarter and half full.

Make sure to post a "First Light" report here so we can see how you get on!

regards

Dave

That looks right to me. Presumably you have set the latitude scale on the mount to match your local lattitude ?

As the scope swings to different parts of the sky you will find the eyepiece and finder can assume some strange angles. You can either rotate the tube in hte tube rings or turn the diagonal and eyepiece to be more conveniently angled, as you need to.

Hope you enjoy the views :smiley:

I had one a few years ago. Great scope but you need to watch the mount. You show the legs retracted but to view anything at a decent angle the eyepiece is low down. You have to judge the mount with the legs extended which takes away some of the rigidity. I got away with a CG5 (just about).

Had some awsome views of Mars and Jupiter.

Plus be carefull of balance also.

Good luck

Frederick

I had one a few years ago. Great scope but you need to watch the mount. You show the legs retracted but to view anything at a decent angle the eyepiece is low down. You have to judge the mount with the legs extended which takes away some of the rigidity. I got away with a CG5 (just about).

Had some awsome views of Mars and Jupiter.

Plus be carefull of balance also.

Good luck

Frederick

thanks this was just a put it together and play with knobs to understand how to make it move in different directions.

I've never had a telescope before so I'm playing a bit. I'll learn to balance it next weekend. It's overcast here so it doesn't matter much ATM.

The tripod is down because it was merely an assemble day. Practice. But thanks for the heads up.

I have a lot of learning to do.

Looks a very nice scope that. Many have started out with lesser instruments, it should keep you occupied for quite a while. It should deliver some good views. Jupiter's GRS will be in reach.

Do a bit of learning regarding polar alignment. This is the key to the scopes use. To describe it very basically, the EQ mount is designed to track any object by just using one adjustment knob. A very basic way to do this is to aim the mount (not the scope) due south as you're in Aus, and set the altitude reading on the side of the mount to your exact latitude on Earth. In other words if you are at 30 degrees south, then set your mount for this. Then attach the scope and move the telescope about the sky by loosening the RA and Dec knobs, then retighten when scope is in the right place. Now, you should be able to track the object manually by just turning the RA knob. You might need to adjust with the DEC knob every so often, as the polar alignment will not be very accurate, but good enough for casual viewing.

You can polar align more accurately but that is a different matter and I would suggest that you get used to your new equipment before venturing down that road.

Enjoy the new scope!

Looks a very nice scope that. Many have started out with lesser instruments, it should keep you occupied for quite a while. It should deliver some good views. Jupiter's GRS will be in reach.

Do a bit of learning regarding polar alignment. This is the key to the scopes use. To describe it very basically, the EQ mount is designed to track any object by just using one adjustment knob. A very basic way to do this is to aim the mount (not the scope) due south as you're in Aus, and set the altitude reading on the side of the mount to your exact latitude on Earth. In other words if you are at 30 degrees south, then set your mount for this. Then attach the scope and move the telescope about the sky by loosening the RA and Dec knobs, then retighten when scope is in the right place. Now, you should be able to track the object manually by just turning the RA knob. You might need to adjust with the DEC knob every so often, as the polar alignment will not be very accurate, but good enough for casual viewing.

You can polar align more accurately but that is a different matter and I would suggest that you get used to your new equipment before venturing down that road.

Enjoy the new scope!

thank you

I started with this very scope & still have it & use it from time to time, i now only use it for lunar imaging & have taken some great images with it, jupiter & saturn are also very doable through this scope, but it does produce a certain amount of false colour which is to be expected from an achro but can be reduced using a baader semi apo filter, its a great scope & a fine performer at a great price. (ENJOY IT)!

Archived