Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello from Germany + your input for a scope

uhb1966

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, thanks a lot to all... and u235 in particular. I just pulled the trigger on an EQ6. Reason being that once i get to guiding, i will probably reach the avx' weight limit...

A wise choice sir!

That mount will see you for many years to come, once youre confident with it you could probably chuck another telescope on there and it wouldnt break a sweat. To get it polar aligned and ready for action (quickly), use this:

http://myastroimages.com/Polar_FinderScope_by_Jason_Dale/

Works every time.

Orion Atlas EQ-G Fail! buhuuuuu... weep!

The set up the went good until I adjusted the latitude... The mount did not rotate past 45°. Removing the adlustment bolts  showed the problem: one was bent. So now i have sent an email for a replacement bolt to teleskop service... i really hope they can help and i dont have to return the complete mount!

:huh: :huh: :huh:

I have to get a drink now

post-38788-0-59551600-1413916266_thumb.j

Hi everybody!

After tinkering about with two bad made entry level scopes from Meade, i am now considering starting this hobby in earnest, despite the often cloudy skies..

I am planning to get a allrounder telescope- a celestron 8'' Nexstar SE . I am planning to do mostly DSO imaging via an (unmodified) Canon EOS 550D directly connected to a laptop (liveview). I have already some experinece with processing and stacking the pictures taken, using my stock objectives for the camera. I think that the scop is a good allrounder and has a decent aperture while still being portable. I am planning to do most of the scoping from my backyard with occasional trips to a nearby dark place with decent elevation.

Your opinion on the scope / setup?

Regars, U.

Hi & welcome to SGL...

If you want to do DSO you may find that you will be disappointed with the Nexstar mount...it is very average for longer exposures. Rather than going for a combo like the Nexstar get a nice 

German EQ mount and put the scope on it that fits your budget. You may also want to consider long term to move from the EOS to a mono ccd with a matching filter wheel. This way you will

be able to combat light pollution which most of us encounter in their back yards... All the best & keep us posted.

Alright... the skywatcher quattro arrived... sufficiently collimated.. looks like a good scope, the only part not looking sturdy is the finder scope mount. Replacent M10/120mm screws on their way, good quality power source as well. Now all i need is decent weather... :-)

Archived