Narrowband

Hello from Germany + your input for a scope

uhb1966

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi UHB1966, welcome to SGL, there is one thing about the forum, the membership will always try to give you good advice from a vast field of knowledge. I am not into imaging, but the one thing I have learnt, from it being stressed so many times in the past, is that the mount for imaging is of paramount importance. Now you are on the right track with a rethink of your imaging set up, I wish you every success :)  

Welcome UHB and if you don't mind where in Germany are you?

Be sure to post your progress or lack thereof as well!

Not to get too far off topic but I'm still very new and a star party has definitely been in order! Just haven't found one yet. I'm looking now.

Dear Uranium,

my house is on approx 1800 feet elevation, and my outpost (2miles distance) on 2700 feet elevation ;) there is some light pollution, but not too much.

Thanks A LOT everybody!

I will retreat now into my thinkers corner and start pondering ..... :/ Hopefully something meaningful will emerge ...

Happy thinking and welcome to SGL!

/T

Well, there are some news. I understand now that i need a grab and go first. Also, my view to the north is severely limited, so a German mount is problematic. I also think that a more allround unit might be a good choice. Last but not least I understand that i need about 300 to 600 Euros worth of accessories. That's it in a nutshell for now... Thanks a lot to everyone!

Good evening fellow skygazers,

Does anybody have experience with the Orion xt 10g f 4,7 goto Dobson? It has an enormous bang for the buck, but the mount weighs 16kg and the tube another 13! Im specifically interested how it is transported and set up....

It's not mandatory to see the north for polar alignement, software can do this for you nowadays if you can at least roughly align your polar finder!

It all depends on what you want to image and how much money you want to spend, I have the AVX with the 8" Edge, still haven't been able to use it properly,

waiting for the mount to be returned with a fully functioning controller so I can't express any opinion except its sturdyness and ease of assembly.

If you want to image planets, smaller galaxies or planetary nebulae, an 80mm refractor just wont do it imo... And if you want to image Barnard's loop

well a 2m focal length scope also wont do the trick, so It all depends on your pockets and what you want to do... However a GEM is mandatory for DSO AP!

Okay, i have nailed it down to either

- Orion SkyQuest XT10g GoTo Dobson or

- 8'' Newton with Celestron Advanced VX mount

They are both f5, weigh both about 30 kgs / 60 pounds, and both cost about 1200 Euros....

Thanks everybody!!!

Not sure on the mount (its a bit new), but if you use the FOV calculator I posted the link to - you might find that with a 200mm scope youre below the 1" p/p level with your camera, which is usually the limit depending on the quality of the sky where you are.... not unless you are planning on imaging on top of a mountain somewhere, or sending it into space  :D

...With 205 mm aperture and 800mm focal length i would wind up at

F ratio: Focal Length: Field of view: Resolution:   f3.9 800mm 1.6° x 1.06° 1.11"/pixel

I have a newton in my crosshairs that weighs about 7kg... that would be 50% of the mount's max payload...

Im pretty sure the VX is a beefed up CG5-GT (my first mount). The handset software is pretty good, and its not too heavy to carry about. The average sub length I used to get was 7.5min, but on good nights it could do 15 or 20min - sometimes with a 100% hit rate (no dodgy subs).

But, you will have to severely limit the amount of accessories you attach as it will all add weight. Weight saving measures include using a 50mm finderguider and removing the finderscope after mount calibration (as you wont be using it for the rest of the session). Weigh your camera and corrector too.... actually it might be a good idea to put it all together then pop it one some digital bathroom scales so you can get a more realistic measurement.

Hi and welcome to the forum.  I have an Nexstar 8SE (great scope) which I bought before I realised I was interested in AP.  Can't get another scope at the moment so I'm getting a Celestron focal reducer 6.3.  I would certainly have bought a different scope had I thought I would drift into AP.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived