Wide Field

Sean L

Hi guys,

I took this pic last week on holiday in Ireland.. didn't have a tripod with me so i just rested my camera on a pillow and pointed roughly towards the Milky Way ( I could see it with my naked eyes which was amazing for a city boy) and this was my result...I know its not amazing but is there any thing interesting in the picture any one could point out as i have no idea what any of the stars in it are?  Thanks all :)post-34063-0-06716800-1409765157.jpg

Thanks im trying that site now! its processing though.  I wish i took multiple shots to stack now this was just 1 10 second exposure...im determined to go back with tripod and do it properly :)

out of interest what lens and  camera settings were you using

Leigh

it was a canon 600d 18-55 kit lens 3.5 iso6400

I have 1100d, same lens plus a nifty fifty and acces to a very dark site in Kielder forest, I cant get shots like that,  even with 20 or 30 second expostures even processed I am doing something very wrong I think

I have 1100d, same lens plus a nifty fifty and acces to a very dark site in Kielder forest, I cant get shots like that, even with 20 or 30 second expostures even processed I am doing something very wrong I think

I took some with my nifty 50 put unfortunately they had slight trails... I don't think your doing any thing wrong but the place I was staying coincidentally has an international gold medal for its dark skies (not quite sure what that is). I literally walked outside one night looked up and froze for a few minutes, I couldn't believe that there was almost as much white star as there was dark space. I really want to go back with kit!

I took some with my nifty 50 put unfortunately they had slight trails... I don't think your doing any thing wrong but the place I was staying coincidentally has an international gold medal for its dark skies (not quite sure what that is). I literally walked outside one night looked up and froze for a few minutes, I couldn't believe that there was almost as much white star as there was dark space. I really want to go back with kit!

yeah Keilder has the same award,

Nice work. The view is from Cygnus at the top to Aquila at the bottom. The bright blue star right at the top of frame is Deneb, and I can just make out some red nebulosity from the North America Nebula and Sadr region.

Spot on , no idea how you got that !! if your ever in Hertford you will have to show me a thing or two !

Spot on , no idea how you got that !! if your ever in Hertford you will have to show me a thing or two !

Well, I'd like to be able to claim omniscience of the heavens, but I imaged a similar field of view a few days ago with my kit lens. ;) Also, DN4 mentioned the coathanger, after that I was able to find Deneb and Vega.

OK , heres another pic same sort of thing this time with the nifty fifty i think. I just spotted a odd turquoise dot in the bottom right third?? aliens ? or does someone have an explanation?  

Not sure, I'd say hot pixel but it seems to be trailing like a star. There aren't many green objects up there. There is Comet Jacques, but it hasn't reached Sagitta yet.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived