DIY upgrades

Hi guys,

I'm a bit bored so I'm looking at modding something to keep me entertained for an hour or so one evening. Is there anything that is generally considered a good starting place with an obvious benefit i.e. Focuser or Losmandy upgrade? I'm pretty handy so I don't mind anything a little fiddly but I've stayed away from messing around with so far so I'm after something fairly simple. 

Depending on what scope it's for, a dewshield is a very worthwhile DIY project that will be more necessary when the colder and more dewy nights arrive.

Camping mat foam is a popular material to use, have a look in camping / outdoor shops or online for a dark colour.

Regards, Ed.

Do I need s dew shield for a newt, I can't ever see if the secondary gets fogged up but I worry sometimes?

On very cold dewy nights I've had the secondary mirror on my Newtonians dew up.   Not nearly such a problem as SCTs Maks and refractors, but still an issue when dewing gets really bad.

HTH, Ed.

Hi guys,

I'm a bit bored so I'm looking at modding something to keep me entertained for an hour or so one evening. Is there anything that is generally considered a good starting place with an obvious benefit i.e. Focuser or Losmandy upgrade? I'm pretty handy so I don't mind anything a little fiddly but I've stayed away from messing around with so far so I'm after something fairly simple.

Homemade solar filter. I used a Screwfix drain plug and solar film.

Do I need s dew shield for a newt, I can't ever see if the secondary gets fogged up but I worry sometimes?

As above, but also most Newt OTAs are way to short to effectively shield the focuser and the eyepiece in it from stray light. Look through your focuser without an EP in it and if you can see anything other than the secondary and the inside of the OTA, then light can hit the EP. Likewise, flock any area you can see through the EP or reflected in the secondary (no need to do the whole tube) and blacken anything that isn't black - the plain glass edge of the secondary springs to mind.

That's a couple of nights in sorted... :)

Russell

Archived