SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Where do you observe from?

I use my back garden which gives me a good bit of sky to look at. The good news is my neighbour has trimmed his trees. Bad news is that I have more light pollution from new LED street lamps that the council have set up - been waiting for ages for them to install shields.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't want to run to any conclusions too soon, but this month has been the best so far. There's been around 8 clear nights in the last 16 and day time-wise, only one overcast morning. Last night was spectacular, even from the roof top (non-dark site) I could see the Milky Way stretching over head and following this link offered by Mod John, I could count around 10 or 11 stars inside Pagasus square.

We live in rural south Wales,right on top of an exposed hilltop.we have a few street lamps out the front seeing we live on a small council estate but they are completly shielded by the house.light pollution is very low here but the weather up here is very bad when it wants to be,the wind is bad enough to tip my 300mm scope over if it wanted too.skies are stunning tho well worth being out in the biting cold and wind

In my garden there is too much light pollution, so usually I go to the fields near where I live. The best place though is in the summer when I stay in Southern Spain for a few months as it is in the mountains, there is very little cloud and it is very remote, so I can see tons.

Obsy in my back garden, a real luxury if you are thinking of building one stop thinking and DO IT.

Two dark sites at Wymeswold in Leicestershire & Belper in Derbyshire run by the East Midlands Stargazers: -  http://www.eastmidlandsstargazers.org.uk/

Dark site at Rosliston near Burton on Trent run by the Rosliston Astronomy Group  http://www.roslistonastronomy.org.uk/

Archived