Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Where do you observe from?

Hi

Just generally interested in how you all enjoy the skies?

Do you have a nice garden in a dark area? Or maybe know a place locally you travel to? Or even have the scope setup elsewhere?

Where I currently live has a lot of street lights so not ideal and not had the scope our for a while. I've took the scope to my parents caravan a few times where it is very dark and I saw Saturn here, wanna do another trip soon now I know more about what to look for.

Hopping to get my own house soon with a good view from the back garden to set up permanent. . though prob more important things to look for when choosing a house lol

Craig

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You could have the best of both, I to enjoy solitary observing from a dark site, yet I also enjoy occasional observing when my club meet, again always from a dark site away from my light polluted home city, I have completely given up on that. You could also add to the mix and look at attending regional star camps. I never venture going out observing if at work the next day though.

I currently have no back garden and live in the middle of a small town. Up until recently I put everything into the back of the car and drove to a dark field nearby (with the permission of the farmer). However I recently discovered Electronically Assisted Observing (aka Video Astronomy) and can now observe from my light polluted driveway - much more convenient and something of a revelation.

Most of the time in my garden which gives a a reasonably unobstructed view of the sky NE to SW and somewhat SE, under a constant nice orangey glow of course. If I get the timing right I get a nice view at Fort William, its so much better, nice dark skys.

Mostly from my suburban back garden. Views are limited by trees to north, my house blocks views to west, and my neighbours "security"lights are a pain, unless I wait til gone midnight. I get a clearish view to the east and south-east (although not down to the horizon), but that's right over the city centre, so the sky is orange quite high up. I can still see a fair amount though, and even a feint milkyway from time to time.

Its still way better than where I used to live which had no backgarden and only tiny front yard on a junction of two roads with a street lamp right on the corner and with a floodlit car park opposite. In fact, when we moved to to our current house, having a darkish back garden was pretty high up on the selection criteria.

I rarely venture out -I've been to a formal star party once (mostly clooudy and wet) and an informal star camp once (lovely weather and pretty dark). I'd probably go again - it was nice to have knowledgeable people around to help identify stuff, and to let me look through some much bigger aperture instruments! Not much of a "club" man, so not yet ventured out to meet my local society - perhaps I should.

I always take a scope (or at the very least some bins) with me when I go on holiday. Had some marvellous viewing in France, but been rather less lucky with holidays in Scotland so far.

I took the radical step of making astronomy a priority (and a small business) and emigrated to SE France for a good sky. In doing so I was surprized by how difficult it was to find the right location. I considered Spain and all of southern France. Having settled on SE France for the sky quality it was still extremely difficult to find the perfect site. Too far south and you hit the coastal and industrial light pollution.  Too far north and you don't get the number of clear nights. Too far east and you cop the Alpine thunderstroms.  In the broad valleys you get the mistrale, which is absolutely vile. And you need to be future proofed.  A little to my south was excellent 20 years ago but is now not up to serious DS imaging. People who used to take astro holidays there have moved north to get away from the rising LP. I spent nearly three years researching possible locations, though that was in my holidays as a teacher, not full time.

When I found a farmhouse with no roads to the south, surrounded by hills on which construction is physically impossible, protected from the village by a bump of high ground... I bought it on the spot!

I expected to find somewhere within a few weeks. It took nearly three years.

Olly

If I'm being lazy then I go into my garden where the whole of my west view obscured by my house. I do get good views on everything else though.

If I'm well prepared then I can get to a fairly good dark sky in about 20 mins but the lay-by I've claimed does seem to double up as the local 'meeting spot' for amorous couples.  

I usually use the school playing field opposite our house. There's little in the way of street lights in our village, but those there are are shielded by hedges and trees. Sometimes, if I'm feeling energetic (and only when observing with the binoculars), I climb to the top of the hill above the Cerne giant. :)

Although my new house is only just darker (Perhaps half a Bortle) than where I was the view is much better. It was, in fact one of the main criteria when looking, that and the absence of floodlit sports grounds and visible street lights. I can only see one streetlight from my garden, and to do that I have to go to the extreme end.

The last few clear nights I could see Capella at 11 o/c, which was impossible at this time of year in my last house, Pegasus and Andromeda are very clear, and Cassiopea is effectivly circumpolar. Those with wide open horizons may snear, but for me it's been nothing short of a revelation. I also saw Antares clearly for the first time in many years, decades almost.

Happy? Yes, pretty much.

Archived