SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Beautiful Andromeda

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sadly, due to light pollution, then for most of us in the UK it is invisible naked-eye so 'bothering' to look means travelling to a dark site with the intention of viewing it (which means you already need to know it is there to make it worth the trip). Today's generation of kids don't even know they are missing something worth looking at...

ChrisH

Sadly, due to light pollution, then for most of us in the UK it is invisible naked-eye so 'bothering' to look means travelling to a dark site with the intention of viewing it (which means you already need to know it is there to make it worth the trip). Today's generation of kids don't even know they are missing something worth looking at...

ChrisH

I was able to view it once or  twice naked-eye in my light polluted back yard, only because it was almost at the zenith on a clear and cold winter night, and with averted vision.

So am i right in thinking i didn't see it then. Fuzzy blob in eyepiece. And fuzzy blob in binos. Ep was the skywatcher 25mm wide angle. Damn so that wasnt it ?

Why do you think you didn't see it Andy? Andromeda rarely looks anything other than an oval shaped fuzzy patch which has a bright central core.

A dark sky really makes a difference. On the weekend, we went camping and I took my 10x50 binoculars. The view was amazing.The center of the galaxy was very bright (yellowish) and the size much bigger than what I thought. It was also very easy to find since it pops up in the darkness.  When I see it from the suburbs it looks like a small grayish blob.

I hope to one day soon observe Andromeda in dark skies. As for right now....all I ever seen from it in moderately light polluted Long Island is an elongated fuzzy patch. I can make out M110 ( small fuzzy ball )  as well so its cool that I can see 2 galaxies in one FOV.

Ill take what I can get at the moment.....but one day I will see M31 in all its visual dust lane splendor.

Spar~

I was lucky enough on the night of 23rd, 24th of August to see Andromeda. I had the telescope (C8 SCT) following comet Jacques. The seeing condition were very good and in between viewing sessions I was lying on the floor in the darkest part of my garden thinking about the kind of things that an incredible dark sky makes you think about. My eyes had a long time in the dark and I managed, using averted vision, to see Andromeda. I could also make out some detail in the Milky Way. It was brilliant!

I also managed to see Andromeda for the 1st time through my scope, as there hasn't really been many opportunities to get outside and set it up.

The night of the 28th was great and it was also the first time I could try polar aligment on my scope and have a quick goto tour.

Although not perfectly aligned, Andromeda was clear once the scope slewed to it and I also got that 'wow' feeling for seeing it for the 1st time.

I often think, who or what is in there looking at us?!

So without any messing about, I attached the camera for a few quick test shots, stacked them up and came up with this:

Andromeda faint

I've adjusted it to be close to what I saw.

Clearly no awards for this but it gives you an idea of what you can expect to see through the scope.

In fact, even through the finder scope it was obviously there!

I just had a "moment" in my back garden; I saw Andromeda for the first time with my own eyes!! Totally blown away

That's a lovely sentiment, Badger :grin: It really is something to contemplate these wonders from our own backyard and brings it home to just how lucky we are to experience one of nature's most spectacular special-effects :cheesy: . When the Moon wanes a little, with a little hunting Pegasus should reveal a few more of these cosmic wonders. Let us know how you get along. 

Archived