Narrowband

Celestron CPC800 GPS XLT help

Nice 1 Jason, Like a kid with a new toy!!!!, great mate.  The dew shield will really come in handy - these SCT's are really prone to the corrector at the front dewing/misting up - I try to store the scope as close to outside temp as I can - then its nearly ready to go straight from the off.

I think your going to enjoy the scope mate - they are very capable - I've owned one for the last 7 or so years and find them to be really good performers - when out, I generally start with the brighter Messier's - you'll have the Moon around now so watch it through first quarter, then half and round to full, later on in the nights then to a waning gibbous, set the scope up on the terminator and have a look to see the way the shadows change over the crater walls, if the seeing is good, try to pay attention on the side of the craters which show the shadow of the opposite wall - you can make out the relief of the top of the other crater walls - its addictive mate.  That's if the clouds ever move out of the way!!!

Keep us informed mate and just enjoy that 800 - it won't disappoint!!!! - trust me.

Paul

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I got a dew shield today when I picked the scope up. Damn blooming cloudy sky tonight lol. I set the scope up next to the house for the gps and it did it fast tbh. I want a really good SWA or UWA 40mm if I'm honest.

You won't go far wrong with a 36mm Baader Aspheric eyepiece which offers a 72 degree FOV and should give you an AFOV of about a little under 1.3 degrees with the 2032mm focal length you get with the CPC800. I bought the same eyepiece to use in my 1100 after a lot of research. It's an excellent eyepiece and really helps to open up the somewhat restricted view you get through these SCT's. Best price I found was through FLO.

James

Yeah I got a dew shield today when I picked the scope up. Damn blooming cloudy sky tonight lol. I set the scope up next to the house for the gps and it did it fast tbh. I want a really good SWA or UWA 40mm if I'm honest.

You won't go far wrong with a 36mm Baader Aspheric eyepiece which offers a 72 degree FOV and should give you an AFOV of about a little under 1.3 degrees with the 2032mm focal length you get with the CPC800. I bought the same eyepiece to use in my 1100 after a lot of research. It's an excellent eyepiece and really helps to open up the somewhat restricted view you get through these SCT's. Best price I found was through FLO.

James

The 31mm will give you a narrower apparent field of view so if you want to make the most of some larger DSO's I'd go with the 36mm with a long focal length SCT like yours (2032mm).

That's my recommendation anyway. I also recommend you get yourself a reasonably priced 2" diagonal.

James

I've had the CPC1100 for about a year and love it. I had a bit of trouble getting the GOTO working properly at first but traced the problem to having the wrong time zone selected on the hand set. Spend a bit of time going through all the settings on your 800 to make sure the scope knows where it lives and what time of day it is while you wait for the clouds to clear. Once it is set-up properly the GOTO works great provided you get the tripod dead level.

A 2" diagonal makes a big difference to the standard 1.25", which I thought was a very poor piece of kit to supply with such a great scope.

Good luck with it - I'm sure you will love it :wink:

Archived