SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Celestron CPC800 GPS XLT help

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree with all the above comments. I have the 1100 and it's a superb piece of kit. The long focal length on the 1100 restricts the FOV but you can prove this with a focal reducer and/or a 2" diagonal with done wide angle 2" eyepieces. The 800 will still be a bit restricted on FOV although less so. The goto and GPS are always spot on. Had mine 18 months and never regretted buying it.

James

I've looked at the 1100 but it's way outta my price range. I hear it's awesome for planetary imaging?

Only really dabbled with imaging so far but that's something I intend to focus more on over the forthcoming season.

I've read quite a few reports about the 925 which seems to be a favourite for many. Not sure if your budget would stretch to that? As far as I can tell though you won't be disappointed with the 800 either.

James

Only really dabbled with imaging so far but that's something I intend to focus more on over the forthcoming season.

I've read quite a few reports about the 925 which seems to be a favourite for many. Not sure if your budget would stretch to that? As far as I can tell though you won't be disappointed with the 800 either.

James

the difference between the 800 and the 925 is minimal visually - the 925 is supposed to be better for AP than the 8 though.  The beauty of the 8 for me is you have decent aperture in a manageable package AND you can look through the EP and reach the collimation screws (preferably with Bobs Knobs installed) so makes that job really easy to get the best out of the scope

I considered a wedge before I got my AVX 9.25. The reason I decided against it was the weight - check on it's weight before you get one. You can image planets quite happily with the CPC and some DSOs like clusters. It depends what you want to achieve. For example I got this of M82 using the CPC but many objects will need much longer exposures and an EQ mount.

Peter

post-35423-0-11668600-1409682445_thumb.j

Lovely picture Peter nice 1, Yes Jason that's a galaxy in Ursa Major - seen nearly edge on from our vantage point.  Jason, I have the CPC and its a wonderful scope in any aperture - had the 1100 out the other night - first time after the light nights - set up - let her wait for a minute to get date and time ( even though I set up close to the house, the sky is blocked from the zenith to the West and the GPS still picks up its co - ordinates)  - manually set the scope pointing at Polaris, aligned the finderscope - bang on, switched on, used Polaris as the first alignment star, then centred, pressed align, selected my second star (Altair) the scope slewed to within a degree of the star, centred, aligned, and away I went - must say that when I centre the stars  for the alignment - I only "roughly" centre them in a 36mm  Aspheric EP, every GOTO had the object bang in the centre of the FOV - the clouds then rolled in and cut the session short.

You'll have a blast with that 800 Jason and the 9mm EP will probably be your highest mag you can get away with under UK skies - most of the time anyway.  Enjoy the scope - make sure you get a dew shield (or heated dew shield) - don't worry too much about buying all the accessories, once you have the scope you have a lifetime to get your bits and bobs - the best advice is to USE IT, get used to the menu and using the lists, constellation tours e.t.c.

All the Best Jason and keep us informed mate - nice 1 

Paul.

Archived