Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Let's see your 1st DSOs

MartinB

My first DSO was the Sagittarius Star Cloud M24 taken piggyback (Canon 1000D, an old 55mm f/2.2 SLR lens, SkyWatcher AZ GOTO mount, 1600ISO, 20 seconds).

Six months later I captured M1 (total exposure of 17 minutes, C6S with CG5 mount and 6.3 focal reducer, Canon 1000D at 1600 ISO. This was also my first shot using a polar aligned equatorial mount )

One year later M8 (Canon 1000D, 1600 ISO. Total exposure time 30 minutes and 56 seconds, C6S OTA with a f6.3 focal reducer using a SkyWatcher SynScan AZ GOTO mount and tripod).

My favorite M45, Pleiades Rising, piggy back taken 3 months after I started (30 second esposure, 800 ISO; 55 mm f/2.2 lens, Canon EOS 1000D camera, SkyWatcher SynScan AZ GOTO Mount)

post-15640-133877645984_thumb.jpg

post-15640-133877645994_thumb.jpg

post-15640-133877646001_thumb.jpg

post-15640-133877646026_thumb.jpg

Edited by sxinias

• 2 weeks later...

This was my first one of the Orion Nebula. I love all these first attempts sure its great to be brilliant and produce amazing pictures but when your starting off it sure helps to see what we all have to learn from and improve on plus after a year down the line you start going a bit mad with all that processing and late nights out in the cold under the skys with a camera whirring away till the wee hours the neighbours will think you have lost your marbles for sure..

Orien%252520Nebula2.jpg

Well, this IS my FIRST DSO, but admittedly not my first attempt at processing the data. That is one thing wonderful about digital photography, however. As you learn more tricks and processes, you can go back and work over the frames you took, even a time ago. These were taken last Winter, with a quarter moon hovering between them, and M42, which I also took that night. I think both images turned out rather well, considering that previous to this, I had only taken Moon shots. Technical data

500mm Nikon Telephoto attached to a Nikon D-80 riding on an Orion SkyView Pro motorized ( non goto ) GEM , ISO 1000, 10 light and 10 dark frames, 30 seconds each for equivilent of 5 minutes exposure in a suburban town garden

post-28646-133877652866_thumb.jpg

Comet Hyakutake, taken on film sometime in 1996 in the south of France. Using the old mouse-mat in front of the lense to avoid mirror shake, apart from that I dont remember many details about exposure or lens, but it was probably a 50mm f/1.8.

Ahh memories

:)

Zak

post-24008-133877654409_thumb.jpg

Comet Hyakutake, taken on film sometime in 1996 in the south of France. Using the old mouse-mat in front of the lense to avoid mirror shake, apart from that I dont remember many details about exposure or lens, but it was probably a 50mm f/1.8.

Ahh memories

:)

Zak

Oops, supposed to be DSO... Sorry...

The oldest DSO I can find was M31 through a 200mm lens.

post-24008-133877654429_thumb.jpg

Hi all,

A new user here. You can see my introduction in the welcome thread.

Anyways, I have only started getting into deep space imaging. This is my first attempt at the Trifid Nebula.

Details

Scope: 8" Newt

Mount: EQ6

Camera: Unmodded Canon 400D

ISO1600

Exposures: 44x60secs unguided

Stacked in DSS and processed in CS3

post-28839-133877657359_thumb.jpg

Hi all,

A new user here. You can see my introduction in the welcome thread.

Anyways, I have only started getting into deep space imaging. This is my first attempt at the Trifid Nebula.

Details

Scope: 8" Newt

Mount: EQ6

Camera: Unmodded Canon 400D

ISO1600

Exposures: 44x60secs unguided

Stacked in DSS and processed in CS3

That's a fantastic first effort, lovely colours!!! Your off the a great start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My first M31. Made with a Meade 6" newtonian on a LXD75 mount.

I stacked about 20 lights of 23s each together with a bunch of darks. This one was made in 2010 so I don't remember the details.

Imaging was done with an unmodified Canon 350D. No filters.

Capturing was done with Nebulosity 2 and processing in CS5.

M31_ISO1600_30s_stack_nebufied.jpg

And here's M27, made the same way with about the same amount of lights and darks as I used for M31

M27_ISO1600_26sec_stack_edited_bas21.jpg

I remade M27 in may last but I have not located that one. The color on M27 is much better because I used masking techniques which I was not able to use before (due to lack of skills :))

wow. And again, wow......

I've had my 200p SkyWatcher dob for about a week now and so far found 3 DSO's. (M13, 57 & tonight 103). Each session looked like clear skies but I appreciate now that they weren't really.

I must admit, each object was a little underwhelming through my EP's and each took about an hour to find ! 'Just about' enough detail to keep the kids interested although the red/orange star in 103 was discernible. Flicking to the right pages of TLAO to read background info was the trump card.

I did want to get into scope photography later when finances allowed but now I appreciate the gains to be had by long exposures and image processing, and that the amazing photos on this thread are within reach - weather permitting.....

• 3 weeks later...

Here was my first DSO, M31, taken with the old blue SW 10 inch newt on an EQ6 PRO, with the unmoded Canon 450D, no coma corrector or LP fillter. Taken from central Cardiff about 3 years ago, 8 x 120 sec exposures, unguided. It took ages in PS to remove all the LP, the light gradient was removed with Gradient exterminator.

Arrrr - the bad old days!!!! I guess half the fun of AP is learning by your mistakes.

post-14723-133877673794_thumb.jpg

Edited by reddoss